What kind of music gave you strength when you really needed it?

FilterCoffee

A few days ago, my ex told me she wanted to get back. She broke up with me in June last year when a guy she knew for a few days convinced her to leave me. We were together for 4 years and were friends for 2 years before that. I know getting back isn't a great idea because the problems that led to the breakup have still not been addressed but I still love this girl so staying rational can be challenging.

Of late, I've been listening to a lot of heavy metal and it's helped me stay grounded when my emotions have been running all over the place. Megadeth, a band I've never really liked, has been on loop the last few days. Been listening to a lot of Pantera as well! So my question for the people here is what kind of music and specifically, which bands helped you stay strong when you were prone to weakness?

• Like 3
Fever of love

Mystic Bill, and the various remixes of 'U won't c me' has helped me a lot:

'You won't see me! I'll be gone. Thought your love for me was strong, now I must be moving on.'

Works well as a mantra for keeping you moving on.

Also 'What becomes of the broken heated' by Jimmy Ruffin. Absolutely beautiful song, and sung with such soul, but I do not recommend that song to anyone on the forum, because it will stick in your mind for weeks, and will not help cheer you up.

I also like stuff lie Lonesome Town by Ricky Nelson, and in fact there's to be a whole sub-genre of heartbreak rockabilly that shifts the blues to something else- 'Can't hardly stand it' by Charlie Feathers, 'All I can do is cry' by Wayne Walker etc. These songs actually describe the whole 'Cant eat, cant sleep, cant stop thinking' experience. 'I walked all night' by the Embers , is another one.

I actually have problems with a lot of the music I shared with my ex though. It was a big part of our relationship, so a lot of my former favorite songs became 'our songs' and are now 'no-go areas'- they just trigger angst and pain.

'Put on your high heel sneakers, and wear that wig-hat on your head' :sick:

\m/

Edited by Fever of love
  • Like 2

I discovered Khalid in march 2017 (he's quite popular these days in my country, but he wasn't then).

His whole album American Teen is about loss of love and all the positive and negative emotions surrounding breaking up.

I often listen to the whole album on repeat, cause I understand what he feels and means. It's so soulful and it makes me realize I'm not alone. It always cheers me up and reminds me that in the end I'll be fine and that it's okay to feel hurt over things.

It doesn't bring me down at all, eventhough not every song is "happy"

• Like 2
  • Author

I actually have problems with a lot of the music I shared with my ex though. It was a big part of our relationship, so a lot of my former favorite songs became 'our songs' and are now 'no-go areas'- they just trigger angst and pain.

I can totally relate. Today I couldn’t listen to a bunch of songs cos they reminded me of her. I’ve been listening to a lot of classic rock and metal and that’s been helping me get through this. Thank god she never liked it!

• Like 1
  • Author
It always cheers me up and reminds me that in the end I'll be fine and that it's okay to feel hurt over things.

Yeah that’s what I keep telling myself. I’m listening to music that makes me feel strong because my mind keeps playing tricks on me. Oh well, just gotta hold on for a bit and things will be fine.

• Like 1
BarbedFenceRider

Maybe some classic Guns n Roses. Since your into the more heavier stuff.

Megadeth is another great one.

I Myself tend to branch out into stuff that requires attention like Jazz or synth.

If I just want to sing along in the car...Vertical Horizon, Tonic and others fill the bill.

But DO NOT listen to Country. You will want to jump off a cliff with your horse! lol:p

• Like 2
  • Author

But DO NOT listen to Country. You will want to jump off a cliff with your horse! lol:p

Haha noted! Yeah I was listening to a playlist titled ‘Slash: Best Guitar Solos’ on the way back home. It was awesome..

• Like 1