Coping, coping. Doesn't work this way

brokengirl85

I'm currently having a worsening in my depression symptoms. They come and go, but this week has been the worst in a long time. To the point I'm almost not able to get out of bed (but I have to anyway, it's just the thought of wanting to continue sleeping), I have zero willpower to do exercise, I have no control of what I eat, and I think I'm drinking too much alcohol.

So I'm not coping very well. So I called my dr and got prescribed Prozac. Im planning to take the first pill tomorrow morning. I'd like to hear of someone else who is already taking this med, so I get encouraged.

Thank you.

Oh I got prescribed 10 mg per day.

So I'm not coping very well. So I called my dr and got prescribed Prozac. Im planning to take the first pill tomorrow morning. I'd like to hear of someone else who is already taking this med, so I get encouraged.

Thank you.

From experience and talking to a lot of people on anti deps, I would strongly suggest finding people to talk to and open up to before going down the medicating road. Keep in mind side effects and other areas of life it will change. Meds aside, its extremely important to have people you can trust and open up to in your situation

Do yourself a big favor and steer clear of alcohol. Eat fruit and eat healthy food. Shower. It will make you feel better. Drink water. Do it for three days straight. Force yourself and you'll see how much better you'll feel. Just three days. Then, after three days, try going for a walk in the late afternoon. Bask indoors in the sun. Sit by a window and listen to some of your favorite music.

Just a few days. After that you'll have more motivation and energy to do more. I promise you. Take it one step at a time. Promise yourself that you're going to stick to that plan and you will.

• Like 1
major_merrick
I'm currently having a worsening in my depression symptoms. They come and go, but this week has been the worst in a long time. To the point I'm almost not able to get out of bed (but I have to anyway, it's just the thought of wanting to continue sleeping), I have zero willpower to do exercise, I have no control of what I eat, and I think I'm drinking too much alcohol.

Thank you.

I would avoid the meds. My friend's mom is a doctor (old-school "sawbones" type). She states that any medication can do anything to anybody at anytime. She's seen many cases where meds have made things worse or cause people to become suicidal or even homicidal. Even though they are prescribed by a doctor, they are a "mind altering substance" just like LSD, cocaine, or whatever. The only difference is precise dosing and limited addiction.

As someone who has struggled with significant depression in the past, I would say that you need to listen to your body's urge telling you to sleep. Lots of times if you've been through serious stress, your body will act as if you've just been through a war. I don't know what your specific situation is, but getting decent quality sleep for a long period (9-10 hours a day for at least 3 months) will go a long way toward making you feel better. Alcohol can help you sleep, but too much can actually RUIN your sleep and make you feel tired. And if you have someone to cuddle up to like a sibling/cousin/parter/platonic-friend, your sleep quality will be better.

Find some friends to hang with if you don't already. Easier said than done, but life is better with other people in it. Get out, and do something new/crazy. If you don't feel like it, try doing it anyway.

• Like 1

I have a friend that was on antidepressants and as she called it they saved her life. She has such a more positive outlook on life now, before she never used to leave her house, was thinking of taking her own life. The thing is they work differently for different people, all to do with how your body reacts to them, and it may take trying different ones to find the one that works for you. I know she was successful on the second one she tried. She didn't have any major side effects and I have to say she is back to the person I first met. She was on them 6 months and then she came off them, as she was over her bout of depression and now lives without them, and is still happy and positive. But you should try to get out of this by yourself first, use it as a last resort.

• Author

Hello everyone!

I've started taking Prozac and so far so good, but they say it takes 2 months to see the full effect. I'm still really sad and everything.

Is anyone else taking this medication or starting to take it? I'd love to share more!

Thanks!

Edit to say I've stopped drinking alcohol.

Edited by brokengirl85
  • Like 1
Hello everyone!

I've started taking Prozac and so far so good, but they say it takes 2 months to see the full effect. I'm still really sad and everything.

Is anyone else taking this medication or starting to take it? I'd love to share more!

Thanks!

I've taken a similar medicine –20mg a day– in the past. Yours is not a high dose at all and it will certainly help soften the blow. Obviously, therapy is a good concomitant, I'd say it's actually essential. All the other advices are great, such as sports, eating healthily, etc, but saying that you should avoid drugs altogether is very irresponsible imho. I assume it's been prescribed by a professional taking into consideration many variables, so there's no reason for you to become addicted or have "rebound" effects, particularly with such a low dose. Let's not demonize medication. Sometimes it's necessary and it can have incredibly positive outcomes.

The length of time before it reaches constant levels in your blood is variable. In my case it was 4-6 weeks, but the change was huge. I followed the proper withdrawal schedule and I'm doing better than ever now, particularly thanks to the therapy I followed in parallel. Use the drugs as a complement that will allow you to think straight and have enough stamina to introduce all the necessary changes in your life. I've introduced many and I feel as though I'm someone new.

Work, work, work and more work. It may sound like a Sisyphus' task right now, but you'll see things differently in no time.

• Like 1
Hello everyone!

Thanks!

I've seen this work really successfully with a couple of people, but it didn't really have much effect until it was combined with counselling and therapy.

You might find that you start to feel worse for a while, but your mood should pick up as time goes on.

Sounds like you're feeling optimistic about things, which is good - you have every reason to be. :)

• Author

Thank you so much!

Keiji: Yes, i was prescribed a low dosage, but I hope it helps! I was unable to workout or think positively, even though I tried really hard, and my depression got worse these last month or so. Very severe.

In the past I tried omega 3, St. John's worth, working out, thinking positively, but my expression was still there. Prozac was my last resource for help. My dr also wants me to start counseling, I'll call tomorrow to make an appointment.

Ryan: I'm really demotivated these days but I hope I'll feel better! I need to for myself and for my family.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been on any medication until my breakup. I experienced such drastic anxiety and depression that I could not get out of bed or work, nor did I have the will to do anything at all. I knew I couldn't go on that way so I talked to a counsellor who suggested I go on very low-dose anti-depressants just to bring me up to a level where we could work on things. I went to a doctor who was very cautious and prescribed me the lowest dose of Effexor. I took it and didn't notice anything for a number of weeks until I was able to get out of bed and work, and then very very slowly things started to get a little bit better until a couple months later I was more balanced and ready to come off them. I did and I really believe they saved my life. No side effects unless I missed taking my pill two days in a row.

Medication is so different for everyone. What works for one is awful for another. talk to some counsellors and get their opinion but don't ever feel bad about getting a little help from medication if you need it.