So I texted him today

Angeleyez2583

Angeleyez2583

Could be a good thing.. could be a bad thing... I texted the ex today just to find out how he was doing... I told him how rehab was turning my life around and he wrote back and said

"i'm fine.. i just can't go through that anymore..n please do me a favor please take care of urself alright in time I would really like to be ur friend"

What does this mean.. I know it means he doesn't want to get back with me at this point, but does he really want to be my friend... I know he still cares about me... but this is hard for him as it is for me...

If I see him Monday, which i will, should I say hi? My plan is to not bother him anymore, but act all happy when I am around him. What does everyone think?

Just be yourself.

He told you he does not want to be your lover anymore...and yes he still cares about you.

Means he is a human being

BrotherAaron

Yes, act happy. Try to be happy. Smile and wave, if you want. Do yourself a big favor and don't expect him to come rushing back into your arms when you do see him though. You might feel like it should be the same, but then it hurts when it isn't. It's good that you are taking care of the alcohol problem with rehab. I know it's a big decision. Good luck with everything.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Be yourself. Don't put on an act for him. Remember you are in rehab for nobody but yourself first. By the sounds of it he needs to regain confidence and trust in you and that will only happen if you believe in yourself enough to follow through the complete program and then some.

WithOrWithoutYou

He still cares about you, but as someone already said, does not want to be your lover anymore, at least not at this point, and maybe not ever. He even said that in time (read: when you have got over him in that way/when you finish your rehab), he would like to be your friend.

Focus on yourself, finish your rehab, and let him be for a while. Once you have got your life totally on track, if you really want to pursue something with him, do it as a friend. Friends have been known to become lovers, but recognize that at minimum, you would be starting from zero, and that he may have made a decision that he is not going to let your friendship go beyond a certain level again, and/or the possibility that he may be with someone else at that time. If you do pursue a friendship with him at that point, keep it a friendship for a while, and take it slow. You never know, he may fall in love with you all over again - or he may not. There are no guarantees in life, but as I said before, focus on yourself, and show him (without expecting him to reward you for it by taking you back) that you are getting your life turned around. You never know what might happen at some point in the distant future.

His statement should neither give you hope, or take it away. He is just saying he still cares about you, and at some point if you do all that you are trying to do, he may even see a place for you in his life as a friend.

• Author
Angeleyez2583

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of your advice :-) Please everyone stay strong. I'm starting to get over him. It's been a week and I'm already starting to feel much better about myself and starting to not think about him as much. I'm only 22 years and realize I have so much more time left in my life. ALso, I realize that maybe I wasn't happy in the relationship even beforehand. I always questioned whether I still had the same feelings for him. He would always talk about other girls, and stopped complimenting me. Also, the sex was starting to go down hill. All and all I realize at this point in my life I don't need a relationship. The only thing I miss about having him in my life is the best friend part.