Short Term vs. Long term relationship

Deadmeat

Anyone ever been on a short term relationship and had a hard time getting over it?

My gf just dumped me after 4 months of very intense and loving relationship. She broke it off because her grades were being affected and they were important to her.

I'm having a hard time getting over this compared to my longer relationships. Anybody feel the same?

Yes. She dumped me a bit over a year ago. I'm still not totally healed. 2 months. Intense and serious. She detached just as fast as she attached. A couple of months after she got with an old ex she never mentioned. Been with him ever since. After a week and a half of them coming back into contact with one another he was her official bf. It's the absolute worst.

Lessons I learned: A woman that moves that fast has attachment and intimacy issues. It's a recipe for disaster. I knew it in my heart at the time but I was too busy thinking this could be a fairytale romance.

• Like 1

I think the short ones can be harder to get over because you are still in the honeymoon stage with the strong emotions. Once you have been with someone a while the feelibgs settle down somewhat. Just a theory.

• Like 1

Yes. I had an 11 month RL that took me years to get over - and I'm still not over it. (I'm older than you BTW).

She was likely one of the WORST girlfriends I ever had. She never bought me anything - nothing. She was completely selfish and contributed nothing but sex. Yet, I was at a point in my life where I needed to feel needed and she would tell me 40 times a day how much she loved me. I questioned the sincerity at first but finally relented after all her assurances.

The sex was amazing and the feelings of love were intense. Then it was over - I got ghosted in a bad way.

That was over 10 years ago and I find myself dreaming about her now that I'm going through another breakup. Don't get me wrong, I would never take her back and have no desire to see her again but there are still thoughts there buried in my subconscious.

So yes, short-term can hurt even more than long term.