Music avoided after BU

darkbloom

darkbloom

I was just curious as to what music you all avoided after your BU. Either genres or artists or songs that you stopped listening to because they reminded you of your ex. And what new music you started listening to replace them.

All responses welcome.

I was just curious as to what music you all avoided after your BU. Either genres or artists or songs that you stopped listening to because they reminded you of your ex. And what new music you started listening to replace them.

All responses welcome.

I stopped listening to the bands OneRepublic and The script. They were my exes favorite bands and we saw both bands in concert last year. Some of their songs she dedicated to me so I can't bear to listen to them, not now anyway.

I try avoiding the typical pop songs on the radio since that's what me and her would listen to when we were in the car. Unfortunately, my Dominican mother has grown to love American music and plays those same stations whenever she's in the kitchen. :D

ANY love songs that came out during our time together I try to avoid completely. I avoid all Spanish music, she listened to that more than I did.

I normally just listen to hip-hop (new and old). She liked some hip-hop, but she wasn't as big of fan of the genre as I am, i grew up on it. Sometimes I would bump some of the ignorant trap rap out these days, she hated stuff like that, especially when I would start singing it! :laugh:

Van Norden

This song and The Cure in general generally remind me of her. Not that she was a great fan, but this was always playing at our pub of choice and each time I played it at home I missed being with her. And dreaded the moment she would be missed for good.

TrevorDia

In fairness, I had the superior choice of music out of the two of us, she was a singer though (she's trying to go professional).

But there are certain songs I can't hear anymore... They're all a bit out there though - Cherry Pie by Warrant; Pictures of Lily by The Who; Vampire Money by My Chemical Romance; The Best Thing I Never Knew I Needed by Ne-Yo.

Also, anything by Barenaked Ladies - most Billy Joel songs - anything by Coldplay... There's actually quite a lot of songs that make me think of her, but it would take too long to list them all, haha. Those are the main ones though

RoseHeart

This will sound childish but I can't stand listening to "Love me like you do" from Ellie Goulding. :eek: This song became quite a hit when I was knee deep in love and romance with my ex. I'd wake up in the morning and put it on replay and just listen to it daydreaming of when I'd be with him again :love: It was amazing and the song reminded me of how happy I was at that time. I can't stand listening to it now.

Another song that I cannot listen to without crying is "Double Rainbow" from Katy Perry. I remember listening to it and thinking how insanely happy I am when we were together. Back then the lyrics were so descriptive of how lucky I thought I was for what I found. If only I could go back...

When my ex and were first getting to know each other, I introduced him to The Airborne Toxic Event (band), and from there on out, they have been his favorite band. Now I can't listen to them at all, which sucks because I like their stuff.

This will sound childish but I can't stand listening to "Love me like you do" from Ellie Goulding. :eek: This song became quite a hit when I was knee deep in love and romance with my ex. I'd wake up in the morning and put it on replay and just listen to it daydreaming of when I'd be with him again :love: It was amazing and the song reminded me of how happy I was at that time. I can't stand listening to it now.

Another song that I cannot listen to without crying is "Double Rainbow" from Katy Perry. I remember listening to it and thinking how insanely happy I am when we were together. Back then the lyrics were so descriptive of how lucky I thought I was for what I found. If only I could go back...

Omg, yes. That Ellie Goulding song drives me insane. I use to like hearing it in the car with my ex. But now I hate it, not only because we're not together but she took the worst lyric in the song and posted it on Twitter about a month after we broke up.

"And now my eyes are open, and now my heart is closing". Ughhhhh just thinking about it hurts my heart smh lol

• Like 1

Pretty much any song about sex/love/relationships. Songs by Billy Joel, and The Beatles also don't sound the same anymore.

I'll Be by Edwin McCain was "our song" so yeah, that's pretty much ruined now too. :( :( :(

• Like 1
Simon Phoenix
Pretty much any song about sex/love/relationships. Songs by Billy Joel, and The Beatles also don't sound the same anymore.

I'll Be by Edwin McCain was "our song" so yeah, that's pretty much ruined now too. :( :( :(

I'll Be sucks, so at least you'll find a better song :) In all seriousness, the only song that reminded me of the ex that brought me here was "Call Me, Maybe." She was obsessed with that song for some reason -- was big when we were dating -- so for a while hearing that song would annoy the piss out of me. Now I just chuckle though.

One song that will always have a negative connotation for me is "Don't Speak" by No Doubt. It was the song playing on the radio literally as my ex from my freshman year of college (first girl I really, really felt a connection toward) dumped me. Even though I got over that relatively quickly (due to the fact I found out after the fact that she was cheating on me) that song still makes me kind of uneasy. I've had more significant breakups since then, but that's the only one that produced a song that continuously has a negative connotation. I mean, that song is 18 years old at this point.

• Like 2
loveweary11

These music threads have been great!

Natalie Imbruglia

Beth Orton

Those were the main ones, but as time passes, you can listen to anything. Once you stop caring about the ex, the songs lose their effect.

fireflywy

Pretty much all 80's music. She and I never had a "song" but she always talked about how and her ex loved Bryan Adams so he's out for now.

Thankfully, I listen to bands like 30 Seconds to Mars which has some empowering stuff. I'm lucky. In all honesy, her music choices sucked. lol No culture there.

loveweary11
Bruno Mars - When I was Your Man.

Ughh!

This one used to actually get me really angry because I would think how it would be true for most, but not my ex.

Then a better song came out for my ex! :lmao:

This one used to actually get me really angry because I would think how it would be true for most, but not my ex.

Then a better song came out for my ex! :lmao:

**** that song lmao

My ex dedicated that **** to me right before Valentine's Day on Twitter :mad: smh lol

loveweary11
**** that song lmao

My ex dedicated that **** to me right before Valentine's Day on Twitter :mad: smh lol

Damn... sorry man.

It's more of a guy's perspective though... not sure she has the right to dedicate it to you. Should be the other way around.

The women's equivalent is:

• Author
darkbloom

I'll Be needs to stop existing as a song. My mom is a singer and has sang that at so many weddings I am ready to barf. And that godawful Celine Dion song from Titanic. My heart will go on. Just terrible.

My ex used to run baths for me and he would always put Bonobo on. I can't stomach anything by him now. It makes me internally cringe. He used to listen to a lot of Chet Faker and Alt-j. That all had to go off of my playlists for awhile. I loved Citizen Cope before we met but we listened to it together and it ruined it for me.

He made a playlist for me once when we took a road trip. It had Beautiful by eminen on it which he hated but put it on to make me happy. It's too painful to listen to it now.

I started listening to stuff I knew he hated to keep my mind off of it. I listen to a lot of rap and r&b now.

Damn... sorry man.

It's more of a guy's perspective though... not sure she has the right to dedicate it to you. Should be the other way around.

The women's equivalent is:

Nah bro it's cool lol

And yeah I know, she was still a little heated I guess. She couldn't find another popular song to use to express her loving feelings towards me :p

• Like 1
TrevorDia

Agreed, Don't Speak by No Doubt got a lot darker after it started having personal application

On the flipside, does anyone find solace in songs like "Gives You Hell" by All-American Rejects, or "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisette is that just me? xD

• Like 3

****, I even hate the "Everything is Awesome!" song from the Lego Movie. We went to see that together :( lol

loveweary11
Agreed, Don't Speak by No Doubt got a lot darker after it started having personal application

On the flipside, does anyone find solace in songs like "Gives You Hell" by All-American Rejects, or "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisette is that just me? xD

Gives you Hell is an awesome song that belongs in some of the other music threads.

The picket fence/house things always hits home with me because I do not and will not have those. When my exes get more house/fence related guys, I just know they are way less entertained and bored than when they were with me. :lmao:

• Like 2
TrevorDia
****, I even hate the "Everything is Awesome!" song from the Lego Movie. We went to see that together :( lol

Yeah! You just reminded me of another song - "If I Didn't Have You" from Monsters Inc. We went to see Monsters University together - it was a terrible movie... but yeah, every so often I'll see a movie and it'll have a song that reminds me of her.

Gives you Hell is an awesome song that belongs in some of the other music threads.

The picket fence/house things always hits home with me because I do not and will not have those. When my exes get more house/fence related guys, I just know they are way less entertained and bored than when they were with me. :lmao:

Haha! This exactly! One of my first exes has the picket fence and a kid on the way now and - not to knock that kind of lifestyle - but when we dated, we'd made these plans of what we were going to do together, where we were going to go. I've been to quite a lot of the places, with different people than her, but she's very very settled now... Pahahahaha, to each their own :lmao:

RoseHeart

I forget about that "Gives you Hell" song.. I think I'm going to download it again :D:cool::rolleyes:

• Like 1

Damn, you know what other songs come to mind?

Sam Smith-The Only One

Passenger-Let Her Go

Ughh these two songs kill me...

Although she didn't cheat on me, the Sam Smith song just makes me think of her alot. I use to sing it in her car alot, it has a nice melody.

I went thru my massive heartbreak early in life, it was quite a brutal period of time, and I remember then that there was a period of time where I literally couldn't listen to any music because the part of my brain that is activated by music in general was so massively injured that it would automatically make me start to have an 'episode.' So I went around listening to talk radio and silence for a few months lol.

One thing I disagree with loveweary on is songs losing their power. I can hear some songs from that era now and they'll still take me back. Their power is gone in terms of making me have convulsions or anything, but they do still have the power to evoke memories like few other things in life. :)

I went thru my massive heartbreak early in life, it was quite a brutal period of time, and I remember then that there was a period of time where I literally couldn't listen to any music because the part of my brain that is activated by music in general was so massively injured that it would automatically make me start to have an 'episode.' So I went around listening to talk radio and silence for a few months lol.

One thing I disagree with loveweary on is songs losing their power. I can hear some songs from that era now and they'll still take me back. Their power is gone in terms of making me have convulsions or anything, but they do still have the power to evoke memories like few other things in life. :)

But those memories are good right? Because I think I see what you mean.

-Any song by Owl City

-"You're cool than me" by Mike Posner

-"Imagine" by John Lennon

-"Magic" by B.o.B

All these songs remind me of my ex-ex. They make me think about her, but not in a way that makes me long for her. It just makes me think back to that summer and the little time we spent with each other. Sometimes I do feel emotions from hearing these songs, but it's very brief.

However, when I think of my previous ex most songs that remind me of her make my heart fall to the pit of my stomach lol.