My friend lost his wife.

ajonesman

Hello -

Just got off the phone with a friend and I'm in shock. I guess I just want to share with someone and I don't have anyone to share. My friend Kevin just told me his wife left him last weekend. My heart sank and I feel like crying right now. I met Kevin a few years ago (about 8) while I was coaching swimming. He is around 46 (about 18 years older then me) somehow we just clicked. You will never catch him without a smile on his face, he always has a something nice to say. He is the kind of guy you would want to have as a friend. The way he carries himself just shows he loves life, who he is and what he does. He is a landscaper and when he would show up at practice he would always be covered in dirt from landscaping all day. We share some common interest. We enjoy hiking together. We have made many trips Utah or anywhere in the desert southwest go on week long backpacking adventures together.

Since I've met him I look up to him as someone I want to be like. I admire his simplistic view of life and how genuine he really is. He has a great heart. I called him tonight to talk about a hiking trip we discussed a while back. We where going to go sometime this month. But because of my move and such I am unable to go. When he answered the phone he said he was thinking about me. I said good things I hope. He said good.... and bad. I said Ah oh.... and laughed. Then I asked what's up. Then he told me about his wife, Mary, leaving. He didn't know how to tell me. My heart just sank. Even right now I'm starting to cry... and I'm not even the one who got dumped. They have been Married for 17 years and have a 13 year old daughter and he loves both of them more then anything in the world. He as always told me about the the little things he does for them. Like how he wrote a poem for his daughter and had one of his friends make a hope chest and another friend engrave the poem on it for her. Or how every year he finds a old window from a house thats being torn down (they always have some unique characteristic to it) and gives it to Mary. He is always thinking about them. I guess I'm just shocked and disappointed someone I looked up to, someone who has a great family... the kind I'd like to have someday, ended. I also feel for him, he is hurting, he is a great guy and she is lucking to have him.

Sorry to hear about your friend. You, yourself, are a great friend for feeling this way.

However...I have to express my...weirded-out-ness...your buddy's name is Kevin, and his ex wife is Mary. That was my ex's name. Kooky.

Yeah, that sucks. Weird how relationships that seem really great fall apart just as much as the ones that don't seem so great. You have to figure you only saw the surface. Who knows what was going on behind closed doors.