highschool failure

justvisiting

justvisiting

Im so scared. I just signed up for all the pre- AP (most advanced) classes that exist! Im in eight grade and I think Im setting myself up for failure in my first year on highschool. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Any warning on what to expect?

PS: Only one other person in my family (about 300 people) signed up for all pre AP's and I still have it harder than him because Ill be in a more advanced algebra class.

I never took any AP classes in high school, but wwhat I would have done if I were you was try the not so hard classes first. I guess like Honor classes (if they have them at your high school). Then when you moved on to 10th grade take the ap classes. So, then you would have the idea of high school and the way the classes are, then you would be thinking that you are going to fail.

My daughter is in 8th grade gifted. The work load is ASTRONOMICAL! You can do it, but it'll cut a big chunk out of your personal time. I don't know if it's worth it or not. I hate to see kids your age have so much stress and work load. It doesn't seem fair.

The math and launguage arts seem to be the hardest though.

justvisiting

I know it is going to be a lot. Im also not sure if it is going to be worth it, but it might pay off in the end and look good on a college transcript. I dont think I can get out of the classes I have on my schedule. The other ones might be full and I volunteered myself to them so I cant complain. My test scores are very high so I cannot complain that the class is too tough (according to the counslers Id be lying).

I wouldn't worry about it to much unless you took alot of those classes. When I was in high school I figure it was cool to slack off and stuff. So, I failed Spanish my first year of high school. Then I got my self together a little bit the next year. Then my junior year I failed geometry. So, when my senior year came I had to try to fix all the mistakes I made the last 3 years. I did graduate though, and that I am proud of. Remeber, do your best to achieve in high school because all 4 years count!!!!!

Since a college accepting you is based on this intricate 'point system'....it WILL assure you a spot. Is this the same as the IB program????

Darkangelism

APs are hard, but worth it, you can cut a year off college, thats on average a savings of about $20,000

justvisiting
Originally posted by Darkangelism

APs are hard, but worth it, you can cut a year off college, thats on average a savings of about $20,000

That would be ideal! Thanks for the lift up. If I do good in my classes, I can actually start taking some of them at the community college since my junior year. I can go to a different one once I graduate of course, but that doesnt seem like a bad start. I havent heard of IB's. What are they? Maybe we have them but they are called something different.

average guy

Just remember, high school is supposed to be teaching you other valuable life lessons - make sure you allow time for them withouth becoming too stressed :)

Cheers,

A.G.

hi, I cant say that I have been in your position before. Right now i am presently studying for a degree and I am in my second year but I think everyone will go through a period of doubt and uncertainty when they are venturing into a new area. All you have to do is believe that there will be other students in similar position that you are in and they are probably going through the same thing.

What helps is if you decide what it is that you really want and work towards that. Just keep reminding yourself of the reason you choose this path and with a little determination and courage you will get through this transitory stage. Hope that I was of some help.

reasontosigh

I didn't take any AP classes in high school, but I was in a number of Honors classes.

DA is right - the benefits of AP classes are amazing. You will certainly learn more there than in regular classes in the same subjects.

Originally posted by reasontosigh

I didn't take any AP classes in high school, but I was in a number of Honors classes.

DA is right - the benefits of AP classes are amazing. You will certainly learn more there than in regular classes in the same subjects.

Certainly not so if you are in my city, so far as language arts is concerned. Our school system is already one of the most advanced in the state to begin with, so the basic work is more demanding. Honors courses were simply accelerated, standard courses. One would just have things thrown at him faster than usual, without going into any greater depth concerning the subject matter. The AP courses forced you to cover everything at an even more rapid rate, without even so much as touching on the material to any reasonable extent. If you could soak knowledge up, hand in assignments on time, and pass tests, you were fine.

I was not asked to enroll in such programs. Counselors in the schools thought I ought to be in these advanced courses, and my parents approved. I attemped to flunk out of these courses so desparately, but only ever managed to get as low a grade as a “C”. I believe I hated the types of students who were in these classes with me, and would do anything to escape.

In response to main post:

I recommend you not stress yourself out, and back away if you feel that, after a time, you need to. Every district teaches differently, and I would hope that your school will be doing more than simply stuffing you with facts. Either way, these things can be highly demanding, and you need to worry about how well you believe you can handle these challenges.