Having it and losing it all, or almost having it and losing it all?

Thieves

What's worse, in your opinion? I know both are pretty messed up, but I thought it'd be interesting to get people's opinions based on their experiences... Which tends to hurt the most?

Door Number One: Having someone so close and building dreams with them, and then losing it all?

Or, Door Number Two: Being so close to almost having someone and building dreams with them, and then losing it all?

Door number 2 for me - I've been so close to being with someone many times and it's fallen apart. Sadly I've already started to develop feelings and they just keep growing as that person is no longer around - missing them makes us want them more. So add the emotional stuff to the fact it never blossomed into what it should've been adds an element of regret and loss.

I've been hurt when a full long lasting relationship has ended too don't get me wrong, but with the other way, there's just that added bonus (if you can call it that) that things ended before their time, if you get me.

My most recent addiction was like that - the fact that we still got along so well and it's clear there's feelings between us. There was so much more that could've happened, but didn't.