Wife's emotional affair

lostone4me

My wife has had an emotional affair (facebook, emails, texts, a few calls) with an old friend from high school for 7 months. I recently found emails and confronted her. I admit I have neglected her emotional needs for the last several years and that drove her away from me. I have apologized to her repeatedly and I have committed to actually working on our marriage for the first time ever (married 10 years). She has cut off all contact with the guy. She only saw him once and nothing physical happened between them. I am having a very difficult time dealing with the thought of her going outside our marriage. I trusted her more than anyone in the world and she betrayed that trust. We have talked about things and we are trying to work it out, but I am obsessing about this other guy....does she still have thoughts of him, did she want it to be physical, is he waiting in the wings.....and many more. I think part of my problem is that she has not shown the "remorse" that I think she should.....what does that mean? How can I put these thoughts away so we can really move forward?

Sorry to be harsh, but in my opinion you betrayed her trust first by neglecting her emotional needs. In a marriage you definitely expect the other person to take care of your emotional needs as best they can, so you not doing this is definitely a betrayal. I don't condone emotional affairs in any way, but if she cut off all contact with the guy-what more can you ask?

• Author

I don't disagree. It is very difficult to draw a line in the sand and move forward.....still thinking about the past. It is getting better so maybe time will help.

starryeyed12

You may want to try posting this in the Marriage and Life Partnership's board. You will get more advice from married posters.

WorldIsYours
Sorry to be harsh, but in my opinion you betrayed her trust first by neglecting her emotional needs. In a marriage you definitely expect the other person to take care of your emotional needs as best they can, so you not doing this is definitely a betrayal. I don't condone emotional affairs in any way, but if she cut off all contact with the guy-what more can you ask?

What the hell? Oh right so it's okay for her to go throw away her vows and put his life at risk for STDs and destroy the life they built.:rolleyes:

Just because she cut off contact with the punk doesn't mean the problems are over, smarty.:rolleyes:

What the hell? Oh right so it's okay for her to go throw away her vows and put his life at risk for STDs and destroy the life they built.:rolleyes:

Just because she cut off contact with the punk doesn't mean the problems are over, smarty.:rolleyes:

He made it clear that nothing happened physically between them, smarty. Didn't realize you could transmit STDs through talking with someone online/on the phone.

And he's acknowledged that there are problems that he's now attempting to address.

:rolleyes: