I told her no to friends

So my ex and I have been talking a little more and it was going well but before I got the wrong idea about things I asked her about where we stood between us. Prior to this she asked if she could contact me to talk sometimes and I said sometimes but don't consider is as friends but I guess she shrugged it off.

I asked her where she stood and she said we are going to be just friends. I told her I won't accept it and she got really mad at me.

She was expecting me to accept the friendship and carry on on her terms. She asked me if I wanted all or nothing and I don't really want to get back together with her but I can't be just friends...something she couldn't understand.

She told me it wasn't right for me to ask her about us this far into the break up (5 months) because she said she was clear on the matter when she wasn't necessarily clear, she only heard what she wanted to hear and that was it.

She delayed her goodbye and such and I don't really think it's goodbye forever...

I just wanted to ask why would she get so mad at me? She broke up with me. Ex's are never truly friends until years after the break up if at all.

How is she reacting to this decision? Is she mad that things didn't go her way or that i didnt bite at her friendship offer?

Any advice for where I go now? Any thoughts apprecialted

Thank you.

My guess is she's still a bit emotionally raw just like you are, and it was a stressful experience for both of you. Good for you for sticking to your guns and saying what you feel right now.

My advice would be to continue to be clear about what you feel at any time you two are in contact, and in the other 99.99999999% of your time, put some aside to process those emotions that are holding you back from having a good friend / a new romance / just forgetting about her.