"I Just Want You To Know That It Meant Something"

AgeOfUninnocence

AgeOfUninnocence

So, I saw my ex a few days ago, and since I knew we'd be seeing each other, I decided to give him back this bracelet he'd given me for my birthday, seeing as I don't really wear it. I told him I'd been cleaning and found it and thought he should have it. He refused to take it back, told me it belonged to me, and though I tried once more to get him to take it, but he said no and put it back in my hands. From there, he began walking off (we'd been hanging out with mutual friends) and I got into my friend's car who was driving me.

Then, just as we were starting the car, my ex came back and gestured for me to come out. I did, and we had the following exchange as he stared at the ground.

Me: What?

Him: I know you think what we had didn't mean anything, but I want you to know that it did.

Me: .... What??

Him: I know that you think what we had didn't mean anything, but I just want you to know that it did.

Me: ....oh....Okay...

After that he started walking away and I said "Bye" as he went, and that was it. I'm just wondering if anyone can try to evaluate the man's psyche and figure out why he'd feel the need to tell me our relationship meant something when it's been months and he hasn't expressed any interest in getting back together anyway. I can understand that maybe me giving the jewelry back provoked it, but I really didn't expect any talk about our relationship and what it meant.

When he saw you and you returned the bracelet he probably thought that you just wanted to swipe the history of yours under the carpet. This is probably not how he sees it and didn't want to just be forgotten.

• Author
AgeOfUninnocence
When he saw you and you returned the bracelet he probably thought that you just wanted to swipe the history of yours under the carpet. This is probably not how he sees it and didn't want to just be forgotten.

Understandable, it hurts to be forgotten. But if anything, he was the one doing it first by deciding to leave me to be with some other girl (who ended up dumping him a few weeks later anyway). I don't see why after months of being broken up it should even matter to him now. It doesn't change anything. We're still broken up and he has no intentions of wanting to go back to being more than friends again.

AlwaysConflicted

Because as a man we want our legacy in tact. It's possible that he feels bad about your breakup, but to me it seems like he just wants you to know he cherished the time you two spent together.

It's not about trying to win you back.

edgeofdarkness
I'm just wondering if anyone can try to evaluate the man's psyche and figure out why he'd feel the need to tell me our relationship meant something when it's been months and he hasn't expressed any interest in getting back together anyway.

I think trying to give back a gift made him think you had got over stuff a lot faster than he thought u would so he wanted you to feel a bit of guilt for trying to give it back, but that sux .if it had meant so much then why did he break up with you anyway? I just want u to know that it meant something is not i just want u to know it meant everything. great comfort that must have been, what an ego the guy has, like thats supposed to make you feel better yeah thanx bro good call, next time just take back the damn bracelet and go away.... :mad:

seems like he just wants you to know he cherished the time you two spent together.

It's not about trying to win you back.

I do agree :(

He may have taken your trying to give back the bracelet and a sign of you saying 'It didn't mean anything to you, so now it means nothing to me.' He's just reiterating that he did care, but probably nothing more.