Always feeling second best to someone else

Hi guys,

I believe today I have uncovered one of my deepest inner problems. Something that has been rooted in me through childhood and has somehow shaken its head again following my recent breakup.

I always feels second best to someone else.

I realise this is a self-esteem issue, but I don't know how to tackle it.

You see, when I was a child in school I had a lot of good friend groups. One day, the friends would start acting weird, teasing me and making friends with a new group of people but leaving me behind. This must have happened several times.

Now I'm 20, at university, and have some great friends I can always rely on. However, when it comes to dating I have self-worth issues. I was with my ex for 2.5 years, throughout the relationship there were times when I felt she put others before me when I would always put her first. When the relationship ended I was gutted and experienced pain unlike anything I've ever felt before. I found out she had cheated on me, numerous times. I wondered what was wrong with me.

I felt second best to every other guy in the world. Every other guy who is going to meet her and enjoy experiencing life with her. Every other guy who she will look up to. I feel so unappreciated because I believe I'm a good guy, always faithful and honestly give my all to a relationship.

Now just last week, I hooked up with a girl who seemed interested in me. A week later one of my friends started talking to her and now she seems infatuated with him. I feel second best to this guy now.

How do I break this cycle, and just be happy? I want to feel happy for the person I am, because I love who I am. I just want to stop feeling second best. I want to be first for once.

Get some counselling> I am in a similar way at the moment. I am getting counselling it is taking time but it was something I had to do.

Get some.