One month ago...

hurt and devastated

hurt and devastated

So it was one month ago today that it all hit the fan, and I was packing my things to leave our house. Some times it feels like it just happened, and some times it feels like an eternity. The hurt has gone away a bit, but I still miss her a lot and I miss being with my family. Try as I might not to, I've been re-living every moment of that awful day. I don't think I'm doing as good as I hoped. Today is not going to be a good day :(

When I stood where you stand, it was hard for me to look beyond the next day, much less remember that I have 40 or 50 YEARS left to go. I would focus on the next perceived milestone coming up--the next possible chance for her to change her mind. Inevitably, that milestone would pass by and nothing changed--so I'd look to the next. I'm still doing that, seven months on, but even I have to admit that I'm running out of milestones.

It's like watching a pot boil while sitting in the pot. It seems like it's taking forever, but...

• Author
hurt and devastated

That must be so tough, man! I can't even picture what it's going to be like in 6 more months. Ideally, I would like to see my wife and me back together and have my family back, but I know that isn't realistic. I like the comparison to the pot, too. There is a lot of truth to that.

I didn't mean to leave the impression that I haven't progressed. I have a lot, and you will progress too. It takes time to work through the tangled mess, but it does get easier.

• Author
hurt and devastated

I'm glad to hear you aren't at the same point you started at. I was able to go to two Divorce Care meetings before they ended and they did help. They don't start back up until September, and there's no way I'm gonna make it till then on my own. I've done some research on marriage counselors, but quite a few of them don't have very good reviews. I'd hate to spend the money and time thinking I'm going to get help, and end up not making any progress.