How deal with the death of a friend

R2litefan

This past weekend I learned of a terrible tragedy that happened between two of my co-workers, one of whom I worked with every day for 9 years.

My friend Charlie went off the deep end and shot and killed a girl that worked in another plant of ours. He killed her in front of her children, and then to make matters worse, he killed himself when the authorities pulled him over on the highway. I just can't believe that this man did this, I am in shock.

I have talked to this man, who is 73 years old, every day for the past nine years. On my breaks Charlie would come and talk to me, he has invited me to his home for a drink, but I never went. I don't know if that's a good thing that I didn't go or if it was a blessing in disguise, that if I had maybe it could me with the bullets in me...I just don't know how to deal with this.

He was infatuated with this 38 year old girl and he stalked her and when she called the police and filed a report on harassment and he was notified of that he went berserk! I just can't see Charlie hurting anyone and for this tragedy to happen has left me feeling very empty, confused and hurt. I hurt for her children and family, but I also hurt for his family.

I went to school with one of his sons and I just can't imagine what they are feeling right now about their father. I know when I go to work tomorrow morning it's going to be different because Charlie isn't going to be there. I thought of him as a friend, a father type friend, we talked every day and I never thought he could ever have a mean bone in his body, I never thought he could hurt anyone.

I know he had a "crush" on me a couple years ago but when ever he would make a comment to me I would just tease him and laugh, I never made a big deal out of it, and I am wondering if maybe I should have because if I had, maybe someone at work could have talked to him and this never would have happened to this poor girl.

If anyone can help me see things a little more clearly about this I would really appreciate it. I am so confused about how to feel at this point.

Just A Girl2

Hello,

I am very sorry about this tragedy. I too feel badly for Charlie's family and the lady's poor children and family.

I hope that where you work, management will bring in specialized counsellors who deal with critical incident stress management....to give everyone a chance to express how they feel as there'll definitely be a large range of emotions..from shock to anger to grief to sadness.

Please don't blame yourself for not having said something in the past when Charlie was friendly with you. You couldn't have possibly ever known this was going to happen. He was obviously just not in his right mind.

I am very sorry for your loss, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

JAG2