I lost a dear, dear friend today

LakesideDream

LakesideDream

Hi all. I needed somewhere to talk, and someone to talk to this evening. I found out that I lost a very good friend today. Her name was Karen.

We met 6 years ago. Fixed up on a "blind date". There was no chemistry or attraction on my side so a romantic connection never developed. Instead we became very, very good and close friends. She was a one in a million lady. I was blessed to meet her children and grandchildren. And was lucky enough to become an everyday part of her life. Even though we lived 200 miles apart we talked every day.

She was a great person to spend time with. A great person to have dinner with. Go to events, and concerts. In April I drove to her town and we enjoyed Elton John and Billy Joel together, one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I felt so lucky to be able to share it with her. It was amazing to see how much she loved the show. She oftened visited me in my new home too... and now she's passed away.

I so wish I could have been there. I wish I could have been more of what she wanted and needed me to be. I tried to be her friend, and I know I succeeded. It just wasn't enough.

Again and again, I ache for someone gone, or who has passed. I know it's a fact of being a 58 year old man. I'm beginning to outlive my friends. It doesen't hurt any less. In fact it hurts more. Be the best friends and partners you can be LS friends. It can come to an end in an instant.

laRubiaBonita

it's hard- i am sorry for your loss LSD. :( but there is more joy in memories and the blessing of having been able to know her.

celebrate her life!

• Author
LakesideDream
I`s sorry to hear this Lakeside. My heart goes out to you, for your loss. RIP Karen. :(

Thank you TBF. I feel so guilty. I could never be there in the way I know she wanted me to be. She carried a torch, and I Know how hard and lonely that can be.

Sorry for your loss.. best friends are the greatest gifts of live (along with children)..

Lake.. come on.. 58 is still very young.. it is very unfortunate that she dies so young.. but don't be so 'negative' about your age..

I just turned 57 ... but I feel like I'm 35..

• Author
LakesideDream

I've noticed something different. I don't feel like I've lost something. Rather I'm just sad, very sad. She'd been unhappy for awhile, and in ill health. Still we maintained our friendship. I feel so bad that she's gone. Bad for her.

• Author
LakesideDream
Sorry for your loss.. best friends are the greatest gifts of live (along with children)..

Lake.. come on.. 58 is still very young.. it is very unfortunate that she dies so young.. but don't be so 'negative' about your age..

I just turned 57 ... but I feel like I'm 35..

You're always so cool Lizzie. Thank you.

I'm sorry for your loss, lake, though I'm glad she was such a blessing in your life.

• Author
LakesideDream
I'm sorry for your loss, lake, though I'm glad she was such a blessing in your life.

Thank you quankanne, my loss pales in comparison to her adult children, and her grandchildrens. Both her daughters, both grown women, and her brothers called me today to tell me they were sorry for MY LOSS. What an unbelievable and tender sentiment. I couldn't believe their compassion.

Like their mother, and sister.

My condolences on your loss, Lakeside. She must've been one of your early 'dates' after your divorce. Good on ya for making so many great memories with her. When we come to die, memories are all we have. Godspeed to dearest Karen. May she live on in all who loved her :)

• Author
LakesideDream
My condolences on your loss, Lakeside. She must've been one of your early 'dates' after your divorce. Good on ya for making so many great memories with her. When we come to die, memories are all we have. Godspeed to dearest Karen. May she live on in all who loved her :)

Actually Car, it was over 3 years after the divorce, in the months following my near fatal hospital stay. She was a good gal, and I am lucky to have become fast friends with her. It was good to have a friend to do things with without pressure I couldn't withstand. Romance wasn't, still isn't in the cards I'm afraid. To much baggage in my trunk I'm afraid. Still, there wasn't anything I wouldn't have done for the gal. I'm so sorry she didn't have a longer life.

• Author
LakesideDream

Thank you Island Girl, I hope she's settling into a better place.

GorillaTheater

I just wanted to add my voice to all those who have already expressed their condolences. You have mine as well. The loss of a good friend can leave you feeling hollow for some time.

you obviously were very special to her if her family was reaching out to you after she died. What a beautiful thing to see!

• Author
LakesideDream

One of my friends daughters, and her BF made the trip to visit yesterday. It was kind of surreal, but good for the daughter. She was still processing the situation. I was very suprised that my friend had attempted suicide twice 20 years before. This was something I never knew.

I've come to grips with the reality that there was nothing I could have done to change things short term. She wasn't taking anyones advice the last couple of weeks.

It's so sad. I've been depressed, and upset, and feeling hopeless. In the worst of it I refused to entertain thoughts of suicide. Don't think it, can't do it. Advice to any reading. Don't think it!

I think she would be very happy knowing how highly you think of her and how much you cared. I'm sorry for your loss. May her soul rest in peace.

i am so sorry Lakeside...any loss in death or divorce is so heart breaking ...there are no words to describe the pain you are going thru and i can sense a pang of guilt?

im just sorry..again, there are no words...but to let you know we are all here and you are not alone.

God Bless...