Has anyone taken prescription meds to deal with overwhelming pain>

RRyan65

Have you turned to drugs like xanax, to deal with the times when your thoughts of your ex leaving you for someone else out of the blue, become overwhelming?

I don't mean abusing the drug, just take one at times when you just cannot deal. (BTW its only been 24 hours since I found out about my ex)

• Like 1
Posco_Proudfoot
Have you turned to drugs like xanax, to deal with the times when your thoughts of your ex leaving you for someone else out of the blue, become overwhelming?

I don't mean abusing the drug, just take one at times when you just cannot deal. (BTW its only been 24 hours since I found out about my ex)

I've taken antidepressents before in relationship situations. They helped.

• Author

Could you please elaborate how this isn't the answer? I would like to make sound judgement. Thank you.

Also, I have finals this week and next and the pain that my ex has caused has made it impossible to focus on anything that is school related. I have nothing to keep my mind off of her. Just a huge void in my life and routine.

hi rryan65, its nothing from experience that makes me feel this way i just dont agree with taking medication to pause feelings that have to be dealt with. i understand the void and loneliness darlin, i know it well & i hope you dont think im trying to make little of what youre going through. it is without doubt the worst pain i can imagine. could you speak to a counsellor first and maybe see what they suggest?? i know where im from this kinda medication is only given out in extreme circumstances and under the strict supervision of a GP. im not even sure what xanax is? is it over the counter or prescription?

this is just my feeling on the topic. you, of course, do what you feel is the best course of action for you :)

• Author

I booked an appt with a counselor one hour after I found out about the whole mess because I knew this was going to hurt me bad. My biggest fear had come true, although I know that the relationship was in turmoil. My appt with the counselor is tomorrow, a full 48 hours after the breakup. It is a nightmare, because I go over so many things: Shes having a good time, happy even. I'm miserable with nothing or no one to occupy my time. I feel rejected and isolated. I don't even feel like I want to meet anyone else. I'm also unable to develop an appetite. I haven't eaten in 36 hours.

• Author

Just took a Xanax .25mg (anti anxiety) and though I am still sad, I can at least now breathe. My shakes a more under control. And I can focus just a tad more on tasks I have to do. And now I cant at least stomach a little bit of food without feeling like Im wallowing up. I am scared however of what I'm going to feel like when the effect wears off

Could you please elaborate how this isn't the answer? I would like to make sound judgement. Thank you.

Also, I have finals this week and next and the pain that my ex has caused has made it impossible to focus on anything that is school related. I have nothing to keep my mind off of her. Just a huge void in my life and routine.

It's not an answer because the meds will only numb your pain, they won't remove it's root cause.

The source of these feelings is inside you and it's purely psychological, meaning it can be remedied by taking some active steps and doing some self work. It's extremely gratifying to win the battle against pain and depression, because it builds your character and you grow as a person.

• Author

Let me put it this way, the pain is still there. It is very real and still very sad. I'm not on a high nor am I on a drunken stupor. These pills have allowed my breathing to become controlled and supressed my shakes. I must be a guy who becomes so overwhelmed by his emotions that they become disabling.

It's a sad reality for me that these pills is what I need to get over her, but the only other option was far too scarring to my self esteem and physical well being. Again, I am still in pain and I am still mourning, its just a whole lot clearer and I dont feel like Im a worthless p.o.s.

LEt me add that in the last three months my ex was phasing me out by smoking marijuana daily. She was avoiding confrontation and not talking. This brought on more confrontation from me because of the fact.

I have been taking my Ativan on a regular basis (this past week) to help with the added anxiety of my recent getting dumped.

If you experience high anxiety there is nothing wrong with getting a medication short term to help.

Let me put it this way, the pain is still there. It is very real and still very sad. I'm not on a high nor am I on a drunken stupor. These pills have allowed my breathing to become controlled and supressed my shakes. I must be a guy who becomes so overwhelmed by his emotions that they become disabling.

It's a sad reality for me that these pills is what I need to get over her, but the only other option was far too scarring to my self esteem and physical well being. Again, I am still in pain and I am still mourning, its just a whole lot clearer and I dont feel like Im a worthless p.o.s.

LEt me add that in the last three months my ex was phasing me out by smoking marijuana daily. She was avoiding confrontation and not talking. This brought on more confrontation from me because of the fact.

unfortunately i had to go on anti depressants after my breakup... i am a very happy person I just gave too much of my soul to my ex. so after he left it was like part of me died and the remaining did not want to live. It has helped me to be able to go to work. It DEFINITELY does not get rid of your feelings. you will STILL feel sick, sad, and miss them, however this medicine has helped me manage my emotions and is helping me get over my breakup faster than if i didn't have them (meaning i am wallowing in my sorrows less, and thinking positively and constructively more)