..... drinking

markyboy1983

I briefly went over this in another thread. My problem is that I have been drinking a lot since she broke up with me about 3 weeks ago. It used to just be on my days off, but now I drink after work too. The past 3 days, I have been drunk 24/7, except when I'm work.

What do I do? The emotional pain just seems to be too much at times. The day seems like it never ends, and I can't sleep or eat anything.

I'm at the point where drinking doesn't even make me feel good anymore.

p.s. why did the website take the word "help" out of my title?

stayin' alive

Please do not drink to numb the pain. It will only provide a band aid. Alcohol is a depressant, and it will only magnify your feelings. Trust me. I was doing that to deal with my emotions from a previous break-up, and I lost my new boyfriend over it. I really hurt him by my actions, and I regret them terribly.

If you are feeling bad you should reach out to friends and family. Go to the gym, volunteer, treat yourself to something you love. Please realize that turning to alcohol to mask your pain is extremely unhealthy. You can do constructive things instead. Feel your pain, and let it go eventually. Time will heal your heart. Find your inner strength. I know you can do it if you want to!

• Author

Thanx, stayin alive

I used to go to the gym everyday, but haven't been there since the break up. I try to go there, but I can't bring myself to go there. I really do try.

I know there is probably a deeper issue here, but I just can't find it.

stayin' alive

Trust me...I was in your same spot. I kept telling myself I couldn't go, but when you wake up feeling like s* enough times, because you have a hangover, you will do it. Just please try to motivate yourself to go. Remember how great you felt when you used to go? Once you get there, you will feel so much better!

WhenWillSheLearn

Yeah, my drinking has been out of control since he left. It's fattening too, which sucks :(

I work out every morning, but it's at night when I want to be numb. So I drown myself in wine and go to sleep...

Expensive habit too!

Well it is a good thing that it "doesn't feel good anymore" and that your realize this is a bad habit. Now what you should do now is something more constructive. Pick up something you've always wanted to do, but you couldn't. I have so much time now, I am at the gym 5 days a week and I have never felt more better and confident than now.

I was in the same boat for the past few months. Drinking to numb the pain, but in the mornings you feel even worse. I had to come to the lowest of lows to begin to realize that I was self-destructing.

Easier said than done, but avoid the alcohol before it becomes a more difficult habit to break. Instead work on something productive that will help you take your mind of things. Study something you're interested in, go to the gym, listen to light music (no break-up or pity music - try Beethoven). At the end of the day, you'll feel much better that you're working on your own growth and slowly moving to a better place.

MichiganMan222

A buddy of mine did that after he was dumped. He finally got into a new relationship but couldn't stopped drinking by then. That relationship failed because of the drinking problem. By then he was a raging alcoholic. Next he lost his job. He got help finally and recovered for a short time. Soon after, he started again. He withdrew from everyone. Finally, a year later, they found him dead in his bed.

I know this is extreme. But don't let this relationship at the very least ruin your next...and at the very most, your life.

• Author

Thanx guys.

So today is my second day with out drinking. Even though I still feel like crap, I feel better knowing that I'm not drinking. Plus when I when the drunk wore off, I felt even worse. I guess i'll just have to deal with it(lol)

I finally got to the gym yesterday and today. Even though it only takes my mind off of the break up for an hour or two, it's better then nothing.

For some reason, LS deletes the word help. They're pretty tough on 4-letter words around here. :)

I'm proud of you for staying sober, even for a couple of days. That's a big deal!

As for the continued urges, not keeping liquor in the house is always a good one. Of course, my personal recommendation for all life's ills is the bonghit, but hey, nobody ever got into a fistfight while stoned. You don't hear of a lot of stoner DUIs. You may eat more than your share of Twinkies, but it beats booze.

movingonandon

as everybody else said;

I will also add, specifically to the drinking part, that anybody can become an alcoholic, sometime within a very short time: it is only a matter of how much and how often you drink. The scary part is that this sneaks on you slowly, and you don't notice it until it begins to cause problems. I know what I'm talking about, because i had to stop drinking completely or ruin my life. Better save yourself some trouble. If you begin to have concerns about drinking, that in itself is an indication for a problem so your best bet is to just cut it off completely. If you catch yourself having bargains with yourself (just 3, only drink after 5, only 3 times a week, no hard liquor etc., etc.), there's another indication of a problem. Or, do an experiment - try not drinking at all for 30 days. If you can do it with no problem and without obsessing, then you're probably ok to drink socially. Another test - can you have just one drink and stop *without obsessing/struggle*. If you can, then chances also are you're probably ok.

Nikki Sahagin

Probably not saying anything new but thought i'd add my 2 cents...

I turned to drinking a bit myself. In the short term it helped me. I kept myself busy always going out and I kept the drinks flowing. I danced, I enjoyed myself, for me I FORGOT him and went happily numb. Then I came home and felt it wearing off - woke up - felt depressed.

Alcohol as someone else here said is a depressent and rather than making you feel better, which depending on what kind of drunk you are it can do, it makes you feel worse. It compounds the problem.

Also you are wasting money on alcohol. Put your money to something constructive i.e. a holiday, travelling, redecorating, a car, a course etc.

The alcohol just makes things worse.

It's braver to confront the rawness of your emotions in a sober, natural state. That way when you get through it, you know you've faced it alone and with no 'help'. It's empowering. Alcohol is just suppressing you dealing with the issue.

Face the emotion, don't suppress it with alcohol. Start the process.

Howsthis?? I dont even drink, except aa wine with dinner sometimes...

BUT since my break up 6 months ago, i now drink a little a few times a week.

Yes it takes the edge off, but I cant drink too much, I get ill, and feel like crap.

I have accidently had a drink a few times on an empty tummy, and suffer hangovers so bad, i cant even THINK of having a drink for days..

Today was awful and I went right for a can of vodka.. but just 1 is enough for me!

escapism...even on my level! too easy...

Im only just beginning to get up and out and excersise again..those 'depressed' months sucked, i was so tired.. all the time.

I briefly went over this in another thread. My problem is that I have been drinking a lot since she broke up with me about 3 weeks ago. It used to just be on my days off, but now I drink after work too. The past 3 days, I have been drunk 24/7, except when I'm work.

What do I do? The emotional pain just seems to be too much at times. The day seems like it never ends, and I can't sleep or eat anything.

I'm at the point where drinking doesn't even make me feel good anymore.

p.s. why did the website take the word "help" out of my title?

The best thing you can do for yourself is put down the drink. Drinking as it's sounds your finding out.. might numb the pain on a temporary basis.. but it is by NO means a fix to the problem. Think about what your doing to your mind and body by ingesting that much alcohol.. it's not healthy. If you can't stop on your own there is plenty of help available to you. It's your choice. Best wishes.

AP:)