I am an idiot.

Prim&proper

Please help!! I am an idiot. Bf of 6 months and I broke up on Tuesday. We broke up because we have been having some fights and he is down on us. I asked what he wanted from me and he said he wasn't prepared to make a decision but if he has to make a decision right then, it would be to break up. So we break up, but he emails me telling me how hurt he is and that his decision was one made not from extensive thought but in the moment. I then asked what he intended by telling me that as he maintains that he has not changed his mind to which he says he doesn't know what he intended by the email nor what he wants from me. So I told him I can't communicate with him anymore. But this morning, I fell off the wagon and texted him asking if he really wants us to be over. He replied that he didn't want to respond by email and that he would be happy to talk if I want to talk but he hasn't contacted me because he was respecting my wishes but he would prefer to keep the communication channels open. Help. WTF is he doing? Should I just shut this down and proceed with NC?? I am beating myself up for breaking NC.

Urgh! I am an idiot, or at least a glutton for punishment.

Urgh! I am an idiot, or at least a glutton for punishment.

... or just a human being.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that if you want him back, then I would want to be sure that he is sure that he wants you back.

And now I am confusing myself!

I think it's best to give him some time to figure out what he wants. It doesn't sound as if he knows what that is. Can you commit yourself to someone that doesn't really know what they want?

Yes, give him space. Go do your own thing for a while. Give the boy plenty of time to think.

• Author
Prim&proper

Well, I finally got a clear and resolute answer from him. He believes the decision to break up was the correct one. I can now move on because I got my closure. I am sad but glad I fell off the wagon because NC will be a lot easier now.

Let the guy think. If he truly did say it in the moment, then give him that consideration at least. Don't run away with the ball just yet. Do your own thing for the moment and let him think for a bit.

*Next time I need to read the entire thread before responding*

Go out and move on if that's his decision.