Not sure how to behave towards her...

Hi guys,

OK, well I posted a message here the other day that you might remember or, if not, might need to read! That can be found at: -

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t72176/

OK, well I have told my girlfriend it isn't working and I am not happy in the relationship. Sick of the way she speaks to me, and her mum, I don't like it and don't intend to put up with it.

At first she was OK about it, but Friday night I received two text messages, the first I hadn't realised I had received as my phone was upstairs. They read...

"U make my life a misery n i hope you feel good about urself i do as ive just taken an over dose so if nethin happens to me i hope u know YOURE to blame along with my mum! i hate you both! if i dnt die through this i'll either cut ma self or cut ma wrists...wot u think is best? guess i can neva grow up now...soz 2ba disappointment"

obviously i didn't read this message till about half hour after it was sent as i was downstairs. i had this second message...

"u dont even care do u! ur more of a b*****d that i thought u was! ur killin someone n u dnt even care! ur lower than low! i really hope i get the guts to cut ma self so u can have it there diggin at ya for the rest of ur life! i really dnt want nething 2 do with u, stay away from me - if i live!"

Upon readint these, I told my mum and she told me I ought to ring the girl's mum immediately, even though it was nearly 1am. I did this, spoke to her mum and she said I was right to ring but was basically talking as if to say, "oh here we go again..." almost like this has happened before. She rang me back said she just took any tablets from her daughter's room and told her to grow up and stop behaving like a child.

Next thing I get a text message, "ok silent treatment! but all i wanted to say was sorry cos u obviously did care! but u really upset me! u can be so nasty sometimes! dont worry i didnt cut ma self but scratched ma self lol it took ma anger and depression away! but sorry again hope u forgive me!"

the following day i was awoken by my phone going off again, a text message reading, "im sorry but i cant leave ya alone for the minute! im too depressed im not blamin u but ur not helpin ur just being nasty! i dont wanna get back with you just wanna be friends or just sort things out! please consider it cos im so unhappy at the moment! n if u really care for me then u wud, please!"

Anyway, since then, she keeps ringing me...can we be friends...please...good friends, not just friends that say hello in street, I mean friends that call each other and meet up etc.

All of this is really confusing me - I do care about her but the things she did and said at the weekend have really freaked me out. It's not exactly normal behaviour and I told her this...she started crying and said "Stop saying I'm not normal" and I said, "I am not saying you're not normal, I am saying this behaviour isn't normal".

Anyway, what should I do for the best?

slubberdegullion

If she's threatening suicide, she needs to be committed for the sake of herself and her family.

Go NC with her. Don't respond to her messages. You've said your bit, so don't be baited into answering her.

LucreziaBorgia
Anyway, what should I do for the best?

If she's threatening suicide, she needs to be committed for the sake of herself and her family.

Definitely! The next time she gets through to you with passive aggressive threats like that - call 911 and report a suicide attempt. They'll take it from there. She needs help greater than a parent taking away her 'toys' and telling her to grow up.

This is pretty rough on you! This girl is obviously pretty insecure or she wouldn't be carrying on like this. ONe word springs to mind 'manipulation' and another actually "attention".

You were right to ring her mother, absolutely. Now, I would tend to agree with the NC, however, upon the next text message of this fashion, I would ring her mother again (or another family member) and tell them that she is sending you abusive and agressive text messages. Tell that person you find it upsetting and to keep an eye on her. Go for the 9/11 as well if you want.

Take care. It must be very difficult getting those sort of texts and late at night also.