Please Listen!

Hey all fellow LoveShack members and guests:

I want to share with you a revalation of events, which has entirely changed my perspective on my ex. It may not help really, but it is one heck of a story. If you need background, please check out "Urgent Advice Needed" on this forum. Long story short, 3 1/2 year relationship, she cheated on me and dumped me. Usual heartbroken syndrome for months, begging, pleading, the start of NC, LC, NC again, and then actual NC lol.

I made the conscious decision to change myself. Now most people to improve themselves start working out, and stuff. I went the other way, self-destruction. Cigerettes and booze, late nights and a complete recklessness I had never experienced before. I felt like while I could never do something as drastic as suicide, I still had little to live for so just go for it. I started becoming a bit crazy. I bought a new car and drove it way to fast, took up drums, jumped out of a plane (skydiving) all little destractions to attempt to fool myself that I could forget my ex. Now I am a 21 year old, 3rd year university business major, so this all was a departure from my years of clean living, and preppy kind of exsistence.

MY friend and I (another fallen soldier of love) decided it was time to go on a trip. So with my grandmothers car, we packed up all our crap and decided to drive from Canada to Mexico, give my gram the car(she lives down there) and fly home 3 weeks later. Well the trip changed my life....

On the first day, around Montana, we were driving around 75 mph on the i-5 around 10:30 at night. A deer came running out, we hit it at that speed, it crashed through the windshield, cut it in half and it landed on my friend. We luckly didn'y go into a roll, and pulled into the ditch to see what the damage was. Somehow no one was hurt, and it took 30 minutes to get a highway patrol to where we were. When he got there he said he had worked the highway for 20 years and never seen an accident like that where no one was killed. I remember thinking back to that scene in fight club, where there driving in the car and Brad Pitt asked "if you died today, what would you wish you had done"?

That accident changed me, it made me realize that we can all go at anytime. If I had died in that accident, my last 5 months would have been dedicated to thinking about my ex, someone who doesn't care about me. Why? life is to short.

Anyway, the rest of the trip was great, full of pools, beaches, sun, beer, mexico, great bands, growing adventures, and the realization that life is to short. I also met a girl down there that made me completely forget my ex, like a gift from god. Once you take off the blinders, you can start to see how many amazing people in the world there are. It started as a fling and now is growing into more.........

I still live everyday like it is my last, but balance is coming back. No more cigarettes, less drinking, and a tad bit more caution.

I love you all and the support this place has given me in my darkest period of my life. But start to think of this dark time, as a time to emerge from the ashes. All the scars on your heart will heal, (and chicks dig scars!)

In the wise words of Brand New "Die young and save yourself"

NE

country gal

great story! looks like you've found some balance for yourself - and it doesnt get much better than that! thanks for the pick-me-up.....