Breakup Gift

When I decide to break up with my girlfriend is it ok to buy her a last gift for a breakup? What do you think about breakup gifts?

Happy Lemming

I've never purchased a "break up" gift for someone and never would. If I am in possession of any of her belongings, I will return them. If there is some kind of joint property where we went 50/50 on an item, I'll give that to her or if she doesn't want the item, I'll buy her portion out. I dated one woman and we went 50/50 on some camping equipment, when we broke up she didn't want it, so I kept the items and paid her what she had contributed to the purchase, but nothing more.

I would utilize that disposable income to secure a new girlfriend, dinner, dates, etc. I'm not going to waste money or resources on someone who is saying good bye to me.

I'll be mature about it and wish them well, but as far as a gift... NO WAY!!

When a friend of mine and her boyfriend broke up, he gave her a new vibrator as a breakup gift. None of us were quite sure what he was thinking

• Author
I've never purchased a "break up" gift for someone and never would. If I am in possession of any of her belongings, I will return them. If there is some kind of joint property where we went 50/50 on an item, I'll give that to her or if she doesn't want the item, I'll buy her portion out. I dated one woman and we went 50/50 on some camping equipment, when we broke up she didn't want it, so I kept the items and paid her what she had contributed to the purchase, but nothing more.

I would utilize that disposable income to secure a new girlfriend, dinner, dates, etc. I'm not going to waste money or resources on someone who is saying good bye to me.

I'll be mature about it and wish them well, but as far as a gift... NO WAY!!

I know that you would not buy a gift if you are the dumpee. I was talking about in my case of being the dumper. Is it ok if the dumper wants to buy a last gift for someone they are about to end a relationship with? I figure buying her a gift is a classy way of dumping her.

• Author
When a friend of mine and her boyfriend broke up, he gave her a new vibrator as a breakup gift. None of us were quite sure what he was thinking

Who dumped who or was it a mutual decision to break up? Usually only one person wants to end it.

Happy Lemming
I was talking about in my case of being the dumper. Is it ok if the dumper wants to buy a last gift for someone they are about to end a relationship with? I figure buying her a gift is a classy way of dumping her.

There is no nice way of dumping a woman. It is rejection, a gift isn't going to "soften the blow". She'd probably end of throwing said gift at you.

No... if you have to break up with a woman, be honest, be mature, be truthful and say good bye. After that leave her alone and let her heal.

• Author
There is no nice way of dumping a woman. It is rejection, a gift isn't going to "soften the blow". She'd probably end of throwing said gift at you.

No... if you have to break up with a woman, be honest, be mature, be truthful and say good bye. After that leave her alone and let her heal.

I can be honest and mature and give her a gift on my way out the door. What's wrong with that?

Happy Lemming
I can be honest and mature and give her a gift on my way out the door. What's wrong with that?

Why would she want to receive a gift?? It will only remind her of the heart break you caused.

Every time she picks up the item, it will cause pain as she will be reminded of who gave it to her.

Why do you want to break up with this person in the first place??

• Author
Why would she want to receive a gift?? It will only remind her of the heart break you caused.

Every time she picks up the item, it will cause pain as she will be reminded of who gave it to her.

Why do you want to break up with this person in the first place??

Because I don't want to get married.

Happy Lemming
No I am buying her a DVD of the "Notebook" movie.

She can buy her own DVD if she really wants it. I still say giving a break up a gift is a bad idea.

Happy Lemming
Because I don't want to get married.

Good reason... similar thing happened to me in my youth.

I was given the ultimatum of getting married or leaving, so I left.

Is this woman pushing marriage to the point of an ultimatum?? If so, she is the one changing the parameters of the relationship, not you... So she is the dumper and you are the dumpee.

Happy Lemming
No she has not even brought up marriage. Just in the last 2 weeks I decided I don't want to marry.

Maybe she doesn't either...

On our second date, I told my long term girlfriend that I never wanted to get married. Her response was "That's great, because I never want to get re-married". So we are both on the same page and our relationship continues just fine and that subject is out of the way.