Ex reached out after six months no contact

I’m in a weird situation. I’m 10 months post breakup and 6 months no contact. My ex broke up with me right before I was to move to be with him. He cried, seemed confused and said “this is the right thing for right now”. Took me months to even feel ok and like I could breathe. He wanted to be friends, I told him no. He said he would follow my lead with contact.

A few months ago I got a notification from google photos that he had viewed our shared photo albums, then he liked a tweet of mine (I then blocked him on all social media because I didn’t want to see his name pop up). I even removed him from LinkedIn and Pinterest because I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of keeping up with me.

Fast forward to Tuesday. I’m at a work conference. I’ve had an incredible week. Just hours before I found out that my mom was cancer free after just two months since she received her diagnosis. I’m feeling good. I get a notification, look down at my phone expecting a message from my dad. It’s from my ex. I couldn’t even open it for a few hours. When I did, I saw that he wrote:

Hey. I might be late to the party here but I wanted to congratulate you on earning your degree! And a new job as well I hear.. it’s well deserved, you’ve worked hard for it. I’m very proud of you and happy for you. I hope the winter hasn’t been too bad, and that life is (still) treating you well.

What in the actual heck? He knows I don’t want to be friends. He must’ve realized he had been blocked everywhere. I don’t know how he got this information unless he asked his best friend (whose wife I’m good friends with). How do I interpret this? How do I respond? I’m so tempted to just say something along the line of “Thank you, but unless you’re reaching out to reconcile, I’m not interested in hearing from you”.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

• Like 1

I would just say "thanks" And leave it at that.

If he elaborates go into the reconciliation talk then but I would keep it brief to start with.

This is a really annoying behavior that seems to be somewhat common among dumpers. I really don't understand it. Unless it's to apologize, I have no idea why they do it.

I wouldn't say "unless you're reaching out to reconcile." That would sound like it's something you're hoping for, or at least an option for you.

If it were me and I was dumped, if I even responded, which is unlikely, I'd probably say something like "why are you contacting me?"

I agree with the above poster

Just reply with “thank you”

And go from there

These people have no shame

My ex s way of coming back to reconcile was sending me a pic of her son with a toy I gave him ...?! I mean really ?!

She got upset when the pic didn’t go through because she was blocked

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Agree with others. Just say thank you and see how he reacts. Personally I think he means well. It would make him clingy if he started off talking about reconciliation. So it's completely natural for him to text something nice (and light).

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

As time passes, emotions even out, and he probably thought it was okay to reach out. This message might be a peace offering of sorts. I don't think you're obligated to respond, but, if you do, just leave it at "thanks."

ilovemefirst

I wouldn't bother responding because you will keep thinking about it if you responded with thanks. Not worth it and if you are moving on, keep it that way.

thekarmacist

do you still love this person?

you can't go from 0 to 60 without some conversation, or at least opening the lines of communication.

that was a lovely message - respond.

let me know how it goes!

Million.to.1

Any update OP?

Did you respond at all?

There is nothing in his message that indicates he wants reconciliation. I would not advise you to respond that he shouldn't contact you unless that is what he wants. You are showing him that you are willing to accept that if you do. Are you? Do you want him back?

Decide the message you clearly want to send him as silence is still a message in itself.

My ex sent me a huge message last week with an apology and omission to behaviour I had begged him to recognise and take responsibility for our entire 6 year relationship. It felt like a slap in the face to be honest and just a way to for him to feel less guilty. My response was cordial - yet made it clear that regardless of his "trying to make right" bollocks, it's too little too late for that and I'm not giving him a pass to move on guilt free after what he did to me. and that I'm not interested in further communication or friendship. It wasn't easy.. I still love him even though he was abusive. I forced myself to send the message I know I had to in order to keep moving forward.

I'm learning there are better men out there if I'm willing to look away from him.

keep us updated on what you send, or don't send. I know its a tough one.

Edited by Million.to.1