Struggling after end of short, intense relationship

explosivetomato

Hi everyone. New account as having a bit of a problem...

Met a girl on Bumble a few months back. On our first date we got our "baggage" out and it emerged she'd been briefly married a year ago but left due to physical abuse. I'd recently left a 10 year relationship that had stagnated and dragged on. Despite this, we agreed to date and see what happened.

The first 2 months were great. She threw herself in and within a month had introduced me to friends and family, told me she was falling for me and would do little sweet things like bring me round healthy food one night when I was ill. Our sexual chemistry was great and even though I struggled to forget my ex I really was falling for the new girl too. She'd talk about things we could do and mid-term future plans and we fitted into each other's lives well. The one stickler from her side was her past - her ex was due in court for attacking her (she was to testify against him) and she said she wanted it all done and dusted so she could fully move on with me.

The court date came, she was nervous but hopeful, then he didn't show up, with a new date not set for several months. Almost immediately she changed. She didn't seem so happy all the time, seemed to drink more and one of her friends warned me that her past affected her more than she would admit. We didn't get on quite so well, her sex drive dipped and at a couple of points it seemed to me she was falling apart. One night after sex she blurted out in frustration that she "wanted to love". 2 weeks later she ended it by text, citing her inability to get over her abusive marriage.

I'd had my own baggage throughout so in truth we were possibly both rebounds (though we'd dated others since our relationships ended). However, it's been over a week since she ended it and I miss her like crazy, I really cared for her more than I realised when we were together. It almost seems like a case of "right person, wrong time" as we clicked so well and our friends and families who met us said we were good together. We were honest with each other about our baggage but it seems it was more of an issue for her.

I'm genuinely gutted by this and have no idea what to do. I know the best option is to not contact her, hope she gets in touch and if not concentrate on healing anyway, but I do feel I really want to speak to her.

tl:dr messy end to what seemed a promising short relationship. Not sure how to move on.

• Author
explosivetomato

There is harm done though. In some ways it’s harder than the end of a long termee as we go on so well, seemed to be going in the right direction and it fell to bits before it even got started.

I was rebounding too, but genuinely did fall hook, line and sinker for her. Up until her court case everything she did suggested the same for her.