Discussion: Have you ever broken up with someone you still loved?

DrReplyInRhymes

Has anyone ever broken up with someone they loved with all of their heart due to other deal-breakers?

What happened? What was the deal breaker? Do you still love them? Do you miss them? Would you consider yourself over them?

Discuss!

Has anyone ever broken up with someone they loved with all of their heart due to other deal-breakers?

What happened? What was the deal breaker? Do you still love them? Do you miss them? Would you consider yourself over them?

Discuss!

Yes I have.

What happened:

We were together for eight months and moved forward VERY fast. We moved in together after one month, and were engaged within three months. Pretty quickly she began to show her true self. I actually suspect she was on the Borderline Personality Disorder spectrum. Once the roller coaster began, I wanted off. Broke up and got back together at the five month mark, and left her for good after eight months.

What was the deal breaker:

BPD + other incompatibilities.

Do you still love them:

Not even a little bit.

Do you miss them:

Not even a little bit.

Would you consider yourself over them:

Completely. This relationship was probably my greatest learning experiencing in truly knowing what was important to me. It was a terrible relationship overall, but I really saw the part I played. I had made up a version of her in my mind that wasn't reality. I rushed the relationship because I really loved the rush of falling in love. The emotions were very strong and very real, but they were caused by my thoughts about her, and not the real her. We were totally incompatible in practically every way possible.

• Like 1

Yes, I found the K1 too daunting so let a good one get away. That was 20-some years ago so it's not front and center and I've been married since but one reflects on life and upon dispassionate reflection that was one of the few where I instituted the breakup. I still kinda smile remember her booting me out of her kitchen. Slavic women, don't mess with them. ;)

• Like 1

Discuss!

Yes.

My ex and her ex were together at the time and were having problems which i can only assume had been going on for a long time. When I came into the picture, I guess she finally found a reason to leave him. She connected with me and eventually left her ex.

We were together for 3 months and although it was a surreal and beautiful time for me, her ex was still in the picture trying to win her over.

Long story short, it was the reason we never took off and I knew there was nothing I could do about it. Broke my heart and forced myself to end it. Never ended a relationship before then. It came from spending a lot of time in my 20's allowing myself to accept disrespectful, damaging behavior from others. Finally got to a point where I no longer had patience to put up with it. Once I felt certain feelings that reminded me of previously painful situations, I knew I was out.

I miss her but, in reality what I miss is the person she tried to be with me..not who she was. Our situation was never meant to be.

- Beach

Edited by Beachead
  • Like 1
amaysngrace

I broke up with my first fiancé when I was expecting our first child because my father promised that if we broke up forever he'd always take care of me and my baby by keeping a roof over our heads, something he had a hard time seeing my fiancé ever being capable of.

My father kept his word and my son's dad lives in his buddy's basement.

Edited by amaysngrace
  • Like 1

Discuss!

In 1998 I was dating a girl named Mary and was totally in love. Her elderly parents didn't like me because I was brown (she was white) so I told her we can't go ahead because her parents don't approve. I still love her. I do miss her but I am over her.

In 2008 I was dating a girl named Teresa. I broke up with her because she was pushing me intensely to get pregnant (she was 45 at the time and I was 43). I couldn't take the pressure so I broke it off. I still love her and I miss her but am over her.

• Like 1
nonovictoria

I'm about to do this very thing. We have been together for 15 years and have two kids. I love him with all my heart.

He does not love me. He exhibits no care for me. He is the person I see leering at our teenage daughter's friends. He is the person I have experienced trying to make a connection with another woman in front of me.

I love the person I thought he was or the person he was long ago or the person I imagined him to be. I'm not sure what's true anymore. I do not love the person who greets me in the present.

I am not over this. I have only begun grieving.

T

I broke up with my ex because he had a very close relationship with a female best friend who was jealous and meddling. He kept putting her first and ditching me for her, spending all his spare time with her, and us arguing about it. Too much drama. I was heart broken and still am.