Talking again with my Ex: What do I do????

I’ve recently reconnected with my ex (who broke up with me in September). It was a rocky breakup: We tried to stay in contact, but our old problems got in the way, leading to a blow-up fight, after which, I told him we should stop speaking.

We reconnected two week ago and he apologized for everything and basically told me everything I have been wanting to hear in regards to our relationship (i.e. took accountability when he should have stepped up, etc.). I had also apologized and taken accountability. He told me that any date he had been on since he has not felt the same way that he felt about me and that when he did break up with me, he was still in love with me (I was still in love with him, but we were fighting all the time). I told him that I did see somebody for a couple of months, but felt the same way.

It was the first time since we broke up that I was willing to start fresh (before, I was very resentful and our old issues reemerged).

He told me how much he wanted to stay in touch and hang out, but I told him I had to go back to where I to law school for three weeks (I am currently studying for my Bar Examination ).

Last time we were talking post-breakup, I had initiated the communication, so I did not and do not want to do that again. He messaged this week, but the messaging has been very sparse. It is very difficult for me because I want to believe everything he said and want to continue talking to him, but he is not showing me what he told me.

I need to concentrate on my studies, but I am willing to work on getting back together when I move back home, I am just so unsure if he feels the same way because of this sparse messaging (despite what he said).

I don’t really have a specific question, just need advice and thoughts would be so appreciated.

You said something about

when you move back home

and

concentrating on your studies.

Are you away at school & did that have anything to do with the break up? If yes, you are not going to be able to fix this rift any time soon. LDRs & college rarely mix.

• Author

I just finished up and I am moving back home in a couple of weeks! Long-distance was definitely a factor underlying other issues, but definitely not the main reason why we broke up.