Boyfriend who I lived with broke up unexpectedly. Can I get him back?

My boyfriend and I had been together for a year and a half. We lived together for over a year at his house. He took me on our first date to my favorite basketball team's game. He said I love you first. We met each other's parents right away and spent time with them a lot. I worked as a fulltime special education assistant and went to grad school, while he works in the trucking industry as a service adviser. He also started business school online in January.

We have been through our ups and downs as a couple and have fought a lot at times. Especially with how busy our schedules had been recently it was tough. He had been staying late at work a lot trying to get a promotion and I have been stressing about my upcoming student teaching, but he always reassured me we would handle it and get it done.

Some of the things we had been fighting about was our upcoming engagement, time spent with parents, stupid things like him not liking to watch as much tv, him believing i didn't trust him, him doing impressions/voices for the stuffed animals he bought me, the house not being clean and money. I feel like we both contributed to these issues and didn't handle fights in a productive way. I pushed solving the problems and going on with the argument before we both calmed down..and he yelled and screamed a lot. Instead of going in another room, Id keep going with the argument too.

On Friday last weekend, I was headed home from work when he texted me that he was going out with the guys from work for drinks. We didn't have super concrete plans, but we always eat dinner together and had planned to get frozen yogurt. I called him back and he apologized for making the plans without talking to me. This was at 530. He said he wanted to take me to olive garden after which was nice and said he'd only be about an hour. I said okay, but for some reason I was irritated. I took our dogs on a walk and tried to cool down, but I was still mad. He said he was almost done at 6:50 which was already later then he said and didn't leave until 7:10. Looking back I was being unreasonable and I regret what happened. I told him I almost left and got subway and we got into a big argument that lasted the rest of the evening including olive garden. We called a truce and went to bed still cuddling and saying I love you.

He had work the next morning on saturday but since we were up early I wanted to finish the conversation from the night before. He was not okay with that and left for work angry....saying it's not working for him that we fight a lot and that I don't trust him. But he did not break up with me.

Earlier in the relationship, he had told some lies regarding playing video games with a girl online late at night before i had moved in.He told me he'd call me to say goodnight and act like he was going to bed, but would go play video games with her and other people. Nothing of substance happened and the girl was married, but she was always flirting with him. My boyfriend would say stuff meaning to be friendly and not understand how it was coming off. we'd had arguments about it and a few other times of him acting friendly to girls on facebook (he'd leave it open on a computer we both used and Id look at it). I acknowledged and owned up that I was wrong for looking but always offered him my phone because I had nothing to hide, but this convinced him I didnt trust him. I own up to this and was willing to take responsibility for this and other damage I did. I had a talk with a friend and decided to show him I was sorry by working in the house before he got home from work. When he did I apologized for trust issues and I'd show him I had changed with actions. He agreed we were good and just said if it continues to be a major issue with trust, Im out. He said once in a while me being insecure was okay but not all the time like it had been. He went and did my taxes then we went to meet my mom at the mall.

At the mall, he was weird and quiet. He always said I love you many times throughout the day. I'd say it and he'd say it back but never initiate it like he usually did. I figured he just needed some time to cool down and was tired. My mom had mentioned she wanted to see the wedding ring he had looked at at Helzberg from the previous weekend that he told her about so we went there and he showed her. He asked why I was looking at charms for my bracelet instead of engagement rings. I shrugged and when I started looking a sales lady mentioned something about engraving rings and he said to her "well we are a long ways from that" and my feelings were really hurt. I tried to shrug it off. When we left, I asked if he wanted to still do date night and he said yes. We went home to get movie cups and he said he wanted to talk to me about one thing before we left. He said that since he didnt feel I trusted him that he might postpone our engagement. I was hurt and asked if he was punishing me because I told him earlier that I was sorry for being controlling of his time and that id prove I trusted him. He said that he wasn't and he just didnt want me to be hurt and wondering about it. I asked couldnt i prove i trusted him in this calendar year that i trusted him, he said probably but I dont see our engagement happening at this moment im sure it will change. Then he switched gears into some weird convo asking about my goals in 10 years. He was saying stuff like he wants 500,000 invested and all debt paid off which isn't close to being possible with his current pay or even a raise. Then he said we weren't on the same page and that he was breaking up with me. That he wasn't changing his mind and it was over.

This seemed incredibly unstable and crazy to me and I was devastated. I was crying and begging and pleading with him to give me a chance to show he could trust me. He just kept saying more cold things like he hated wearing couple shirts with me. Take what you want from the house. I'm not happy. (which is ironic because I constantly asked if he was happy whenever he looked even the slightest bit unhappy and he always said yes).

My mom came and picked me up because I was too upset to drive. I asked if he would take a couple days to consider his decision. Consider our life together. He said he would. he hugged me goodbye. He asked us to tell him when we got to her house. he texted me that i left my wallet and on sunday morning my mom dropped me off. He was sitting on our bed folding my laundry saying he hoped he had enough for me. He asked him to tell me how things went with the friend I was supposed to see that day. He said he wanted a hug goodbye and kissed me. I told him I loved him and he said I love you too and to let him know when I got home.

He had his interview for the promotion yesterday and said it didnt go well. During the time I waited to hear from him, I talked to friends and my mom and coworkers. Most said they'd seen him around me and they believed hed reconsider because he was so in love with me. I wrote down a bunch of stuff from our relationship and realized i was bringing negative energy and qualities to the relationship and ways how I could improve it. I wrote down things about believing in love and what a great team we made and what we had accomplished together. I had this cute idea about saying I was reapplying to be his gf and added to my application. I told him just a little of all this, but he said he had thought about it and his mind was made up. He was tired of trying and not happy. He said he should have told me sooner so we could try to deal with it. I asked why we couldnt try now. He said he just wasnt willing to. I said didn't you miss me? He said yes but not as much as I should have. He said he was still in love with me.

we had one other quick conversation last night when I called about some school documents. He said he believed we wouldnt get back together even though he still was in love with me. He said he wished i could stay in his life but he understands why I cant if we are not together.

Despite ALL of this..I still want him back. We shared so much together, how can he just throw it away?!?! I look at pics and texts of us including very recent. I know we were still happy and he sounded still in love. Do you think his behavior was crazy?? Do you all think there is anyway I can get him back??

Here is some more background about the relationship.

My guy seemed to be all over the place with all the stuff he said and did. One day he'd be excited about our engagement, mentioning our future children or being excited to propose.A couple days later I'd see an engaged couple and mention that will be us soon or when will that be us and he'd be angry..saying I didnt trust him or why did I have to bring the engagement all the time when it hadn't happened yet.

One of the things I initially loved about my bf was his family love. I understood it as I am very close to my mom and an only child. My dad passed away several years ago. We both spent a lot of time with my mom as she lived closer to us than his parents. She would come up to our house and help me with my schoolwork or join us for a sporting event or dinner. His parents lived an hour away with his younger sister. They were always wanting us to come up to their house for some big event. It was always an all day thing including a 16 hour cookie baking day. This became difficult for us with work and school, and sometimes my bf would be ok telling them no. His mom wasn't used to that, because his family always came before his previous gfs. Then at other times, he was mad and blamed me that we hadn't seen his family in a few weekends. "how would you feel going without seeing your mom for 3 weeks?" I had just stated that our plans for date night and time alone should take priority especially if we had something already planned and they invited us at the last minute. He would sometimes go see them during my weekend classes but was often late getting back for our plans that night. For example, we were supposed to go to disney on ice at 7. He left for their house at 830 am when my class started. Class ended at 4 and he didnt get back until after 6pm which made us miss our dinner plans. He never could wrap up with them. If we saw my mom, we'd go to dinner and our movie with her and take her home or she'd go home. It didn't drag out like with his family. We went camping with his family, spent holidays with them (my mom would sometimes come too, but it was always at their house) etc.

He would also fuss about watching too much tv. Tv is my favorite way to unwind and i expressed it would mean a lot to relax and watch tv together some time each night since we both have a lot going on. He said he wasn't a big fan of tv, but i'd always see him watching it when I came back from class or whatever. He said it wasn't productive. He also got huffy about watching certain shows with me like the bachelor. Looking back, I shouldn't have pushed him to watch it, but literally he'd have it turned on since we'd eat dinner in the tv room (the house was tiny so no dinner/kitchen table) before we'd even eat. Earlier on in the relationship, we'd alternate tv picks but he got into a pattern of saying we'll watch whatever you want nicole...and then later complaining about what I chose. He'd also be indecisive about what to eat at dinnertime. He also stopped cooking once he got his current job because he overdoes it at work and comes home looking like a zombie.

His job has caused isssues because he'd stay so late and be so tired and be mad that things weren't done. I have had stomach and some health issues lately, likely due to stress, and he initially said he'd pick up more slack around the house. He said for me to just focus on work and school and I thought that was extremely considerate of him, but a week or two later he was lashing out at me about not doing enough work and how he was helping with too much stuff. Previously in the relationship, he was mr. productive and mr. hero, always wanting to help and getting everything done. Now he was exhausted and the house was a mess.

He also complained about doing voices or impressions which he did to make me happy. He'd do an impression of Yoda and I'd love it. He'd get a kick out of doing it and then I'd ask for it a few days later and he'd say no or why do you always have to have impressions? I'd get grumpy if he didn't do them which looking back was a little ridiculous on my part, but why do impressions in the first place that you'll never do again?

My bf was also fixated on money. He wanted to get out of debt and save money which was understandable, but he went to extremes. He had a diesel truck with high mileage that he didn't want to sell but wasn't in good shape and expensive to fill, so we took my car almost everywhere except him driving the truck to work. He understood that I wanted date nights and was good about providing them. I could have been more understanding about him not having money at times, but he was also resentful. For example, he charged part of our trip to cali and vegas on a credit card. We worked on an ebay business together and he was first obssessed about working on it, but then wouldn't even ship items on time in the last couple months. He'd blame me for us not working on it, because I usually worked with him on it since I was new to ebay and in the beginning said no to doing it a few times. He'd go and give someone a $40 tip on a $100 check. He'd talk about wanting to be retired by 40.

Despite these issues we did everything together and I was happy in the relationship.I lost my virginity to him(I was 31 and he was 3 years younger). I believed I was going to be with him forever and we'd get through anything. He said from the beginning he wanted a family, house etc. with me. He was excited about proposing to me and saving money for a ring. He fixed up his small house when I moved in..he gave me the bigger closet, made shelves for my stuffed animals and beauty products. He even added on extra storage space for me a couple weekends ago. He's been in 3 jobs over the course of our relationship. The second one was the night shift 3-midnight opposite of my schedule. I took dinner to him at work so we could eat together every single night. He helped me with my schoolwork and I have helped him with his schoolwork and cover letter for a promotion at his current job. We ran almost every errand together, countless date nights together, romantic dinners, holidays, chores together. He took my mom to the er 2 weekends ago and stayed up with her while he told me to sleep on the cot in the room..this was with two major papers due in his classes that weekend. He came to watch my students' choir concert and brought gluten free treats for my students (one student has to have gluten free) multiple times including $50 brownies. He has driven down for my doctors appointments after work since I have been having stomach issues. He called me every day from his job on my lunch break, even though he never took a lunch break himself. He bought me stuffed animals from our favorite frozen yogurt shop, for one he did his voice and created an instagram account for the stuffed animal doing cute poses..all to make me happy. He did romantic things such as giving me a dozen roses on valentines day...with an extra artificial one to say that he'd love me until the last rose died. He bought me a charm bracelet and more charms to celebrate my love of mickey and minnie/our love, as well as the most recent one that said "I am loved". We went on a wonderful trip to disneyland and vegas together. There are hundreds of happy pics of us on the trip and other times. He fixed breakfast for me every day and fixed my lunch for work everyday. We sent each other cute snap chats every day. Dentist and eye doctor appointments together..he hadn't gone for years to either one (guess his family didn't care that much to urge him to take care of himself) and got glasses. We paid to join a gym for the 2018 year together by our (now his) house. The list goes on.

ExpatInItaly

Honestly?

I would feel suffocated in a relationship like this.

I don't think his behaviour was crazy; you concede there have been a lot of fights and huffing. That builds up over time and breeds resentment, and this is the result. I don't think you're totally at fault; both of you contributed to this falling apart. But based on your description, I think there was far too much "together-time" and not enough time spent fostering your lives independent of each other.

Edited by ExpatInItaly
  • Like 6
kaitlynlily6

Let him leave and try to grow apart and see if things get better without each other or if you two realize something from the separation.

• Author

I agree with what you were suggesting about too much together time. I had wanted to prove I could be more independent and try the relationship with a new attitude and actions.

I understand there were problems but I wanted the chance to show I had changed. I had forgiven him for things, I don't understand why if he loved me he couldn't give it one more shot.

He couldn't give it another shot because there was too much fighting and he'd run out of shots. It really can happen like this - one day you just have an epiphany that it's really not going to work.

• Like 3
CantTakeMySmile
I agree with what you were suggesting about too much together time. I had wanted to prove I could be more independent and try the relationship with a new attitude and actions.

I understand there were problems but I wanted the chance to show I had changed. I had forgiven him for things, I don't understand why if he loved me he couldn't give it one more shot.

I didn’t read a point where you gave him space

And proved you trusted

Him. Seems like jealousy was a big cause that smothered this relationship.

• Like 2

It honestly just sounds like there was too much turmoil. I mean, eventually that wears you out. You had reason not to trust him, so don't think you didn't. He knew what he was doing with that gamer person. He's not stupid.

Listen, there will be more than one person in your life that you love but cannot live with. He figured this out before you did. Not everyone is willing or should be willing to live in turmoil and unhappiness and conflict simply because they love someone. You two are not compatible living together and your trust issues, I mean, they have a basis, so they're not going to go away.

You can pick apart each one of your arguments and say , Yes, I was wrong, but here he was wrong. Doesn't matter. You're just not on the same page and lack trust. It doesn't sound like he wants to do marital counseling to see how much could be sorted out, but that's probably because he just knows he's not willing to change some of the things that would make you happy or more trusting. So this is possibly what he knows why he doesn't want to try further. I'm sorry.

• Author

I had realized how much I was untrusting in the relationship after our argument on Friday. Yes I realized a little late. He had lied to me in the past about things in the relationship like I said in the original post. I offered to him Saturday when were talking about date night to give him some space. He said "I don't need space, but I understand if you do. I can go see my friend matt" I said I don't need space. I have asked him during the relationship if he needed space or a day to himself..and he always said no. Or "Ill have alone time while you go to class".

As for recently, I told him when he broke up on saturday to take more time to think about it, since he seemed angry and disturbed when he did it. And he had bought a music box at the mall for me that day and been at the jewelry store looking at WEDDING BANDS. This was all on the day he broke up with me. I left him alone to think about it...As in I have been at my mom's house since Saturday night. He called me on Tuesday saying he was ready to talk. I had prepared a book of things to tell him how I would change and things would be different. Such as couples counseling which he was ok with doing two weeks ago or me going to individual counseling. I had about 10 journal entries to talk to him about...including how i would help him put his own work first and take on more. And he shut me down saying.."i just know in the past nothing changed. Im not willing to try anymore." Oh and the nice fact that he missed me a little..not a lot.

I am pretty sure looking at wedding bands at the mall is what made him realize he wanted out. We'll see if it was just cold feet or not, but he may have felt his back was against the wall and that if he wanted out, he better do it now.

• Like 3
CantTakeMySmile
I had realized how much I was untrusting in the relationship after our argument on Friday. Yes I realized a little late. He had lied to me in the past about things in the relationship like I said in the original post. I offered to him Saturday when were talking about date night to give him some space. He said "I don't need space, but I understand if you do. I can go see my friend matt" I said I don't need space. I have asked him during the relationship if he needed space or a day to himself..and he always said no. Or "Ill have alone time while you go to class".

As for recently, I told him when he broke up on saturday to take more time to think about it, since he seemed angry and disturbed when he did it. And he had bought a music box at the mall for me that day and been at the jewelry store looking at WEDDING BANDS. This was all on the day he broke up with me. I left him alone to think about it...As in I have been at my mom's house since Saturday night. He called me on Tuesday saying he was ready to talk. I had prepared a book of things to tell him how I would change and things would be different. Such as couples counseling which he was ok with doing two weeks ago or me going to individual counseling. I had about 10 journal entries to talk to him about...including how i would help him put his own work first and take on more. And he shut me down saying.."i just know in the past nothing changed. Im not willing to try anymore." Oh and the nice fact that he missed me a little..not a lot.

Unfortunately, it seems he reached his limit before he communicated to you

He will not be able to walk away, if this is truly what he wants. So rest assured, if he wants to, he will be back.

He feels suffocated. Give him a month or so and if he can commit, he will be back. That is how love works

ExpatInItaly
I am pretty sure looking at wedding bands at the mall is what made him realize he wanted out. We'll see if it was just cold feet or not, but he may have felt his back was against the wall and that if he wanted out, he better do it now.

I was about to say the same. I have experienced the same thing.

All you can do is give him space and time away from you to understand if this is what he truly wants, OP. Presenting him with journal entries is not the way to go about it; again, it's too much.

You have to learn to back way off and resist your urge to run toward him or get combative all the time. Pick your battles, in other words. That is a lesson to take forward into any relationship; pouting because your man doesn't want to watch The Bachelor with you, for example, is juvenile and so not worth it.

• Like 1

After reading this thread and your update I am sure he is done with the relationship. He has had enough time to think and change his mind but he hasn't. It's over. He loves you now as a special person and doesn't want to lose your friendship but knows that will not help you get over this break up. I'm sorry but it's time for you to make piece with this. He is right he cannot give you closure you have to find your own.

think like him

the book of your life has already been wrote .If god wants you to be with him then nothing will stand in your way nothing can keep you apart , love hurts and yes you feel like your going to die but you wont. If his the one it will be effortless to get him but you will slave to keep him..

I think he was still looking at the rings because there was a part of him that was forcing himself to keep going through the motions -- maybe due to guilt, fear and not wanting to disappoint you.

He was probably ruminating on ending this long before and the ring shopping was the catalyst -- it was the final straw. Realizing deep down that he could not make that commitment to you. Stark reality dawned on him as to how he truly feels and it pushed him to do what he's likely been wanting to do -- end it.

He's telling you there is no future. And you can't be friends, so the best thing you can do is claim all your belongings, paperwork, etc. and start the process of moving on.

• Like 1
  • Author

I have received a lot of helpful advice and feedback on here. I know I can and will apply that to this relationship if we get back together or other future relationships.

I did want to add a few details that I hadn't added in the beginning or made clear. I'm not sure if they make a difference in your replies and opinions.

Please let me know what you think!

First of all, i wasn't sure if I made it clear that my ex and I had been in helzberg often. He had bought me a charm bracelet from there and added charms to it on different occasions such as my birthday. He had also bought me a pink sapphire necklace for Christmas that we were looking for earrings to match recently. So anytime we have been to the mall recently, we have looked. My ex was looking at a black wedding band 2 weeks ago when we were in there after our dentist appointments. It wasn't something I forced him to do. We were looking for those earrings. Since I thought a black wedding band was a bit unusual I mentioned it to my mom and my ex had said he'd show it to her. He asked why I wasn't looking for engagement rings in there the day we broke up and I said I figured he was picking my ring out and knew my taste.

I understand that maybe you all just mean he looked this time and realized doubts he was having about the relationship. I'm just trying to make clear that he still seemed to be on board for the engagement and relationship recently. The only things he'd really said lately other than that was he didn't want to always be fighting and we agreed we should go back to our nightly talks which hadn't happened..but that's on both of us.

On Tuesday night after he said he was sure we should end things, I called him and we had another short conversation. I was originally calling about stuff on a google account we shared..my grad school documents. But we talked about a few other things. I asked if he was still in love with me and he said yes. I asked then why can't we work things out? He just said again he was done trying and he knew I wanted closure but he didn't have more for me. He said he still wanted me in his life but he understood that might be too hard for me. I said why if we aren't going to get back together? He said because he'd always love me. I asked if he thought we would get back together and he said probably not. He said not because he wouldn't want to but because it probably wouldn't be smart to.

I wanted to know if this changed anyone's opinion or thoughts. Or do you just believe give him time and if he loves me he'll return?

I have received a lot of helpful advice and feedback on here. I know I can and will apply that to this relationship if we get back together or other future relationships.

I did want to add a few details that I hadn't added in the beginning or made clear. I'm not sure if they make a difference in your replies and opinions.

Please let me know what you think!

First of all, i wasn't sure if I made it clear that my ex and I had been in helzberg often. He had bought me a charm bracelet from there and added charms to it on different occasions such as my birthday. He had also bought me a pink sapphire necklace for Christmas that we were looking for earrings to match recently. So anytime we have been to the mall recently, we have looked. My ex was looking at a black wedding band 2 weeks ago when we were in there after our dentist appointments. It wasn't something I forced him to do. We were looking for those earrings. Since I thought a black wedding band was a bit unusual I mentioned it to my mom and my ex had said he'd show it to her. He asked why I wasn't looking for engagement rings in there the day we broke up and I said I figured he was picking my ring out and knew my taste.

I understand that maybe you all just mean he looked this time and realized doubts he was having about the relationship. I'm just trying to make clear that he still seemed to be on board for the engagement and relationship recently. The only things he'd really said lately other than that was he didn't want to always be fighting and we agreed we should go back to our nightly talks which hadn't happened..but that's on both of us.

On Tuesday night after he said he was sure we should end things, I called him and we had another short conversation. I was originally calling about stuff on a google account we shared..my grad school documents. But we talked about a few other things. I asked if he was still in love with me and he said yes. I asked then why can't we work things out? He just said again he was done trying and he knew I wanted closure but he didn't have more for me. He said he still wanted me in his life but he understood that might be too hard for me. I said why if we aren't going to get back together? He said because he'd always love me. I asked if he thought we would get back together and he said probably not. He said not because he wouldn't want to but because it probably wouldn't be smart to.

I wanted to know if this changed anyone's opinion or thoughts. Or do you just believe give him time and if he loves me he'll return?

To add to my other post, most times dumpers will tell the dumpee that they still love them. It comes from a need to soften the blow when ending a relationship, to make the dumpee feel valued and alleviate the hurt. Don't place too much emphasis on that and the hope that he will be back.

He may still care for you but I think too much resentment has been built up and through experience, constant fighting is a relationship killer and most times, there is no going back. Once it is tarnished, it's done.

What I said still stands. You pretty much repeated everything you said in the previous post. Many men cry, declare love and friendship forever; but still want to move on. You called him to talk but he has not reached out to you to talk since he said it. I know you don't want to believe it's over but his actions and words say he is done. You have to move toward acceptance.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I guess most people feel there is no hope and I screwed up.

I’m sorry you’re hurt. But you need to embrace what HE is telling you and he’s been more than forthright in how he feels about the relationship and what’s ahead. It’s hard not to hope but for your sake, the sooner you find acceptance, the sooner you heal and move on.

Every experience is a lesson. We all make mistakes and hopefully this will bring upon self-reflection/awareness.

People underestimate the damage that fighting and arguing do to a loving relationship. Especially when fighting about stupid stuff. Which most all of this is. It quietly erodes feelings, makes one uncomfortable and unhappy, until theres just nothing left. Until it feels better to not be in the relationship than in it. Thats the point where he is.

Hopefully in your next relationship you'll stop with the jealousy....I dont see where he gave you any reason for that. Trust him. Until he gives you reason not to. Stop the petty bickering, who wants to hear that all the time. Is it really all that important to fight over the fact he doesnt want to watch The Batchelor with you? Who would?? You watch what you want, and let him watch what he wants. Stop trying to dictate his every move. Let him be his own person, you be your own person. Thats what makes a good relationship. Learn from this.

• Author

Randomly tonight around 10 my ex sent me this to let me know "he didn't regret anything". I would like to know really..WTF

ExpatInItaly
Randomly tonight around 10 my ex sent me this to let me know "he didn't regret anything". I would like to know really..WTF

He feels bad for hurting you, OP. A lot of dumpers do things like this, to alleviate their guilt for causing emotional pain to their exes.

ExpatInItaly
Ok thanks for the feedback. I guess most people feel there is no hope and I screwed up.

No, in fact, I said you both contributed to this falling apart.

He didn't speak up and let you know he wasn't happy anymore. He evidently went through the motions towards the end without letting you know he wasn't truly invested. Seemingly he just went along with everything without being clear that he was having doubts and checking out of the relationship.

Did you make some mistakes? Yes, absolutely. As did he. We're only getting your side of things, but rarely does one person cause the entire breakdown of a relationship. But for him, it wasn't worth fixing. That hurts, I know. I have been on the receiving end of a partner who was no longer interested in trying to make things work. But in the end, it's far better to be alone than with someone who doesn't really want to be there anymore.