Should I or shouldn't I?

Backstory

So I moved out about one month ago and made a deal with Jerkface: I essentially pay all the bills until the end of the lease to have less rent to pay. part of that 'deal' was 75$ for a second parking that he was supposed to check if it could be cancelled (if it could, he would give me the 75$ back)

I just found out that it could have been cancelled in January but he never contacted the landlord about it. I contacted him about it and he is not getting back to me.

Now I have two options.

a) suck it up and leave it.

b) cancel his internet one month early to get some of the money back (65$)

It's only 75$ but what gets to me is the principle of it and that he gets away with being a jerk, again.

ugh. I don't know what to do.

(edit: we've been NC since I picked up remaining stuff and gave him the keys back.)

Edited by GoreSP
  • Author
Why didn’t you check it yourself?

He said he would do it. I was also taking care of everything else related to my move and was remaining responsible for paying his bills so I didn't insist. I reminded him before moving and he reiterated he would do it.

I would say a) but you seem to be looking for an excuse to contact him.

I never said I would tell him I'm cancelling his internet early?

We have a lease and bills together until April 30. I can avoid him until then but we still have to balance out the last bills whether I chose a or b.

I already asked for the parking money and he isn't replying. At this point I'm not following up with him further either way.

If I do b) he will wake up one day with no internet access.

do you have to contact him to cancel internet? If not, just cancel and move on.

No I don't. He has access to the online accounts but I'm the main contact on all the bills and I'm in 'control'. I can just call and cancel.

That's what b) is all about.

Thing is we are in the same sports league and I'm worried I'll look like the bad guy. I have no plan on talking about him badly to our league mates but I can't expect him to do the same.

(I know I know don't care what people think blah. blah. blah)

I understand that, but you know that he's gonna call to argue with you as soon as he notices the internet don't work.

• Author
I understand that, but you know that he's gonna call to argue with you as soon as he notices the internet don't work.

He is blocked on my phone.

Of course I know he'll try to contact me when he realizes he has no internet. It doesn't mean that my sole reason to do it is for him to contact me...

HumanMachine

If you wanted the money back that badly you should’ve chased it yourself. Take some responsibility.

Do you care what he thinks of you and does he have any recourse with the rent if you do cancel the internet?

If your name's not on the lease and you don't care what he thinks of you, go ahead and cancel it all now.

If your name is on the lease, then you have to be careful as he could come back and force you to pay your share of it.

Look at it from 2 sides: The relationship with him and the repercussions to that and also the legal side and what his options are if you do piss him off.

I go with option A.

You really should have taken care of it yourself.

Why would you leave a task that involved your money to someone you describe as a jerk?

How did you find out it could have been canceled in January?

Edited by springy
  • Author
Do you care what he thinks of you and does he have any recourse with the rent if you do cancel the internet?

If your name's not on the lease and you don't care what he thinks of you, go ahead and cancel it all now.

If your name is on the lease, then you have to be careful as he could come back and force you to pay your share of it.

Look at it from 2 sides: The relationship with him and the repercussions to that and also the legal side and what his options are if you do piss him off.

My name is on the lease but my half of last month's rent is already paid (where we lived we have to pay first and last month's rent at lease signing so I'm not exactly worried about rent. I can also document the parking situation.

I don't want to piss him off. I want my money.

I go with option A.

You really should have taken care of it yourself.

Why would you leave a task that involved your money to someone you describe as a jerk? Jerks aren't typically people you can depend on.

How did you find out it could have been canceled in January?

I guess I should have. When we first talked about the parking situation was before the fights started. Then we made peace and reiterated he would take care of it seeing as I was so busy and stressed with everything else.

Shame on me for trusting people.

I contacted the landlady by email (with him in CC). She then told him he could cancel for April, so I assumed it means he could have contacted her in January.

Not sure why some of you are torching me for this. he said he would do it and didn't. Now he owes me the money.

Perhaps I shouldn't have trusted him but I'm not the bad guy here...

I don't want to piss him off. I want my money.

In that case, I'm with others on here where you're partially at fault as well.

If you wanted to have it cancelled, you should have done it yourself. You left it to him and he didn't do it. The way I see it, you're both at fault.

I'd suck it up and just stick to the current deal you have and have the parking cancelled for next month.

All trying to get that money from him is going to do is create another reason for you to fight. Is that really worth $75 which you're probably not going to get anyways unless you cancel the internet and piss him off?