LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Breaks and Breaking Up

I kept the gifts...

Breaks and Breaking Up It happens to most everyone at some point in life! Share your experiences!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2018, 4:07 PM   #1
Established Member

I kept the gifts...

So we had been struggling with our relationship a bit. A lot of it had to do with my health and job. I recoiled and I think I started having a bit of depression as I became super unmotivated to leave my house (to see anyone, to do anything), and my ex didn't want to come to my place as others were around.. he wanted me to come to his house where we could be completely alone.

Anyhow, we hadn't seen each other in a week, and finally got around to exchanging Christmas gifts. Now in previous years he spent quite a bit, and he often complained because i didn't spend as much as him (I did spend anywhere from 150-200.) So this year, he made it clear early December that he didn't put much money into my gifts as he did in previous years....(he often justified money spent, as effort, as showing how much you care.) Anyways, he came over and we exchanged gifts, and about 20 minutes following our gift opening, and laying on my bed, he broke up with me. It had nothing to do with the gift as I definitely know I got him things he wanted, and I also continued to spend as much as i previously had -- which was significantly more than he spent this year on me. A lot of his reasoning had to do with the fact that my health, and job got in the way -- which it had. I can't say that I was totally surprised by the break up with all the time spent apart, but in his bags he also packed my belongings to return them to me "in case he decided that we were going to break up based on our interactions".

After I found out he brought my belongings to my house, when I was under the impression we would be hanging out and exchanging gifts I became upset as it came across as somewhat of a blindside to do after opening each-other's gifts...... I made him leave the gifts I bought for him. I felt like he literally came over to cash in my the xmas gift, then break up... Was I wrong to do this?
soulseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 5:00 PM   #2
Established Member

All's fair in love and war.