Need to vent

My ex of almost a year broke up with me several months ago, we both had strong feelings for one another so we just seemed to gravitate back to each other up until 2 months ago. He had called me late one night and left a voicemail telling me that something had happened in his life and that he wanted to talk to me about it because I was the only person he could talk about things with, and that he loved me. Not even two days later he started ignoring me. About a week later he texted me and told me to stop contacting him, he'd found someone else and he was giving her all of his time, and he didn't want me in his life anymore. He also told me that he realized he never loved me, but that he loved her (they had only known each other for a week, if that).

Here's the thing though, he was always asking me for nudes (we were long distance) and it lead to some pretty big fights, and it's ultimately what broke us up. He told me in his last message that she is saving herself for marriage and he's going to wait for her, which is what I always wanted him to do for me. He never sent me any gifts but I found out that he's basically showering her with things and they've only been together a couple months.

I've been holding onto hope that he'll realize what he lost with me and come back, but tonight I saw a photo on her Instagram and they looked very much in love. I am heartbroken, how can you go from loving someone one day and then tossing them to the wind the next? Why didn't he do the things for me that he's doing for her? I think he's a bit of a narcissist but my heart keeps telling me that she's changed him and that they will make it last. I miss him so much I can't even stand it. Someone please tell me this gets easier? Is he just being good to her because she's a rebound?