Another breakup, this time with my fiancée

31-year-old male here. My now ex-fiancée, Stephanie, is 26-years-old. We work together and have known each other for about 3 years. We dated for about a year and half and then I asked her to marry me in November 2016 and she said YES! Unfortunately, our relationship started to go downhill in January. Here's the story:

January -- she meets a new group of friends. They like to go out and drink a lot. She starts going out with these girls a lot more often than usual. Her personality starts to change as all of a sudden she starts questioning things in our relationship and me.

April -- we go to our friends' wedding a few states away. Stay there the entire weekend. She's in the wedding. After rehearsal dinner we get into a huge fight about how "I haven't done this" and how "I need to do this and that." The fight gets pretty loud in the hotel room. We make up the next morning.

May -- the fighting continues in May and eventually, I get tired of it, so I ask her for a break so we can think about things. She breaks down and cries a lot, but agrees to it. A few days later, we talk, but I feel like she's not getting the point. Again, the focus is always on me, not her. We continue the break, but then a week later, she breaks up with me saying she can't do the break, but wants to do counseling still... and she keeps the ring for now. Doesn't make sense, right??? About another week passes and I get ignored left and right so I tell her to just give me the ring back and that it's over.

June -- We don't talk for two weeks and then I reach out to her saying I don't want to regret that we didn't try counseling. She tells me she misses me so we decided to do counseling. We do three sessions through June. Even though we are doing counseling, she doesn't want to spend much time together, in fact, she cancelled plans on me twice and then on our anniversary, she makes plans with her girlfriends. I feel like she's not invested and that again, the focus is on me, not on her. So I end it again. She begs me to stay with her, but I say no because she's not even trying.

July -- We barely talk through the month of July, until sometime at the end of the month. We were both alone at work on a Saturday and started talking about things. That talking turned into kissing and telling each other how we love one another and want to try again. I tell her that I have a job opportunity a few states away and may be moving. However, the next day, she never replies to any of my texts. When I talk to her on that Monday, she says she changed her mind about getting back together, but wants to go to dinner with me before I move... for "closure." I tell her I don't think that's a good idea.

August -- I talked with her a couple of times this week. The first one was a good, emotional talk, but then something happened. I found out from a co-worker that she's dating anther man and has been dating him since the end of May. She was still talking with this guy even when we were trying counseling. It all makes sense now. Her behavior. So the last time we talked, I confronted her about it and she admitted it to me. The conversation turned into an argument and she said dozens of hurtful things to be on the phone. She basically stated that because I asked for a break back in May, that was the worst rejection for her and it's been difficult for her to get over it. The phone conversation got me emotional and sad, so I told her goodbye. That's the last time we talked with each other.

I'm sorry for how confusing this relationship became. Here's how I see it: She's not mature enough to be ready to settle down. When you said she's starting to question stuff, well, that's all a part of her starting to make her own decisions. She's still quite young. She's just becoming her own person. Where she did the very bad thing is agreeing to marry you when she wasn't mature enough and then of course cheating. Not nice.

I can't imagine you'd ever get past the distrust, so I'd say let her go.

• Like 1
  • Author

I agree. I also think this new group of friends has changed her way of thinking. She wants to go out and be single and have a good time instead of being married. I think all of this comes from being young and immature. She has never lived on her own. Still lives with her parents because she can save money.

As for the cheating part, I wouldn't consider it cheating as we weren't together but we were working back toward that. I wouldn't have any trust issues.

However, it's clear she's all over the place emotionally and I don't need to be tugged with her. She needs to figure it out for herself. And I'm sure she will at some point.

Time to go no contact, which is difficult considering she sits right across from me.

Same thing happened to me twice the 1st wth the ex wife over 10 yrs ago. Started hanging wth new girlfriends her behaviour changes and later on I found out the truth there was always a guy in the background who she's married to now.

And she was a hardcore Christian lol two faced I wish I'd never gone back to her wen she came back.

Fast forward to recent ex same thing seeing this new girl at work and changed going out drinking there was a guy in the background suddenly she became the opposite of being in love wth me and broke up. But my story this time is different ?

We all worked together and it's been hell she's a selfish woman left her kids interstate for the lifestyle and her she's not happy thou all her bad decisions are catching up wth her now. He left and went overseas to live and work. Her kids are interstate. She's alone. I feel sorry for her but then I try and remember all the pain she caused and think to myself no u deserve it u deserve to fave the consequences of ur selfish decisions and choices. Give it time things change you'll see ?

Perhaps my story will help. I had a girlfriend from the time I was 15 whom I got engaged to when I joined the Army and went off to fight in Vietnam at the age of 18. By the time I was 19 and in combat, she cheated. My best friend told me and we broke up using snail mail. No computers or cell phones then. Every have an argument using snail mail where it took 2 weeks to get a reply?

I was crushed at the time. Thinking of her got me through the tough parts of combat. Later one I went to Sydney Australia, found a girl at a bar who was stood up and we both had revenge sex, which lasted for a month. :)

At the time I was devastated. Now I look back on my life and realize that breaking up with her was the best thing that ever happened to me. It lead to meeting my bi wife who shared her long time girlfriend with me for most of our 45 years of marriage. It also led to a set of circumstances that ended with me being able to afford a new home when I was 21 and never worrying about money.

None of this would have happened if I married my ex fiancé who went from valedictorian with the highest grades in her high school to becoming a drug addict and as a result, has mental problems. She had a kid by some unknown foreign guy, married a man who needed a green card, stayed with him until he paid off the last of her son's college tuition and is now married to a woman.

As an old man I now realize that my life is the sum result of not only the good things but also the bad things in my life. My company going out of business forced me to find another job which paid me a lot more than I was making. Most people tend to stay in their comfortable jobs. I can list many bad things that ended up with having a good life and a woman I love. Right now you think this is a bad thing but someday when you have a wonderful wife with kids, you will think of your breakup and how much different life would have been had you married her. I take everything in stride. The simplest of things like stopping to tie a loose shoe string could save your life by not being in the intersection at the exact time that you were broadsided and paralyzed for life. The littlest and biggest things in our life shape our future. Don't look at it as bad and good things but rather as different paths that will lead you into a different place.

31-year-old male here. My now ex-fiancée, Stephanie, is 26-years-old. We work together and have known each other for about 3 years. We dated for about a year and half and then I asked her to marry me in November 2016 and she said YES! Unfortunately, our relationship started to go downhill in January. Here's the story:

January -- she meets a new group of friends. They like to go out and drink a lot. She starts going out with these girls a lot more often than usual. Her personality starts to change as all of a sudden she starts questioning things in our relationship and me.

April -- we go to our friends' wedding a few states away. Stay there the entire weekend. She's in the wedding. After rehearsal dinner we get into a huge fight about how "I haven't done this" and how "I need to do this and that." The fight gets pretty loud in the hotel room. We make up the next morning.

May -- the fighting continues in May and eventually, I get tired of it, so I ask her for a break so we can think about things. She breaks down and cries a lot, but agrees to it. A few days later, we talk, but I feel like she's not getting the point. Again, the focus is always on me, not her. We continue the break, but then a week later, she breaks up with me saying she can't do the break, but wants to do counseling still... and she keeps the ring for now. Doesn't make sense, right??? About another week passes and I get ignored left and right so I tell her to just give me the ring back and that it's over.

June -- We don't talk for two weeks and then I reach out to her saying I don't want to regret that we didn't try counseling. She tells me she misses me so we decided to do counseling. We do three sessions through June. Even though we are doing counseling, she doesn't want to spend much time together, in fact, she cancelled plans on me twice and then on our anniversary, she makes plans with her girlfriends. I feel like she's not invested and that again, the focus is on me, not on her. So I end it again. She begs me to stay with her, but I say no because she's not even trying.

July -- We barely talk through the month of July, until sometime at the end of the month. We were both alone at work on a Saturday and started talking about things. That talking turned into kissing and telling each other how we love one another and want to try again. I tell her that I have a job opportunity a few states away and may be moving. However, the next day, she never replies to any of my texts. When I talk to her on that Monday, she says she changed her mind about getting back together, but wants to go to dinner with me before I move... for "closure." I tell her I don't think that's a good idea.

August -- I talked with her a couple of times this week. The first one was a good, emotional talk, but then something happened. I found out from a co-worker that she's dating anther man and has been dating him since the end of May. She was still talking with this guy even when we were trying counseling. It all makes sense now. Her behavior. So the last time we talked, I confronted her about it and she admitted it to me. The conversation turned into an argument and she said dozens of hurtful things to be on the phone. She basically stated that because I asked for a break back in May, that was the worst rejection for her and it's been difficult for her to get over it. The phone conversation got me emotional and sad, so I told her goodbye. That's the last time we talked with each other.

nothing you can do... attraction is lost.

Don't fall for the crocodile tears as most likely she is going balls to the walls enjoying her new found attention. Just another way to disable you from getting pissed. She is a grown woman and the new found male attention is most likely prompting her she can "do better" So she can not go forward in the relationship. Better to find out now she is not loyal to you than with kids and marriage.

• Like 2
  • Author
nothing you can do... attraction is lost.

Don't fall for the crocodile tears as most likely she is going balls to the walls enjoying her new found attention. Just another way to disable you from getting pissed. She is a grown woman and the new found male attention is most likely prompting her she can "do better" So she can not go forward in the relationship. Better to find out now she is not loyal to you than with kids and marriage.

Appreciate the reply. I really don't think the attraction has been lost. She kissed me and we made out, at work, 3 weeks ago. She told me she loves me and misses me. There was even a moment when we talked about going to my house to have sex, but she changed her mind. There is something else going on here.

Regardless, I need to move on as she is all over the place emotionally and I don't need to be strung along.

I'd bet it started a lot earlier than you know. They usually do. You only know "the tip of the iceberg". You were engaged and she's dating. Doesn't matter if you were on a break or not. Did you date others? Bet not. See the difference?

You dodged a huge bullet. Take the other job move and go completely dark on her.

Block everything and never look back on this.

If you're smart. If you don't you'll just get strung along.

Better wake up!!!!!

• Like 3
Appreciate the reply. I really don't think the attraction has been lost. She kissed me and we made out, at work, 3 weeks ago. She told me she loves me and misses me. There was even a moment when we talked about going to my house to have sex, but she changed her mind. There is something else going on here.

Regardless, I need to move on as she is all over the place emotionally and I don't need to be strung along.

Wishful thinking on your part.

She doesn't want to cheat on her new boyfriend.

You are relegated to a very distant plan be. Get out of the turmoil and drama.

She's no special snowflake and definitely not marriage material. Let her be someone else's problem.

You don't need a meetup for her closure. Move on like she has.

• Like 2

You could have handled it better.

You're the one who was setting the vague rules about the "break". "A break" is a phrase, which can be interpreted in a variety of ways, and therefore is a source for troubles.

You also dragged the situation too long before the "break". I'm not saying that every fight is a cause to cancel the wedding but it seems you had many signs for a long period, but you ignored then all. Probably because you are a responsible stable man, so you prefered to look the other ways instead of looking straight forward.

Take it as a lesson for you. If your fiance is not 100% into you, don't stay. In my scale, Legitimate doubts might last 2-3 days... maybe a week. Nore than that is "bye bye".

Yes and the something else is the other man. She is having sex with him and that's why she didn't want to have sex with you. Are you dating anyone else yet?

Maybe I missed it, but did you ever get the ring back? If not, you can add 'thief' to her list of badness, and consider that is the price you paid to learn a lesson and dodge a bullet. If you did get it back, do something nice for yourself with the money you get for it, have some fun and, still, consider how close you came to taking a head shot from an Uzi...:laugh:

• Author
Yes and the something else is the other man. She is having sex with him and that's why she didn't want to have sex with you. Are you dating anyone else yet?

No. Not mentally or emotionally at a place where I'm ready to see someone else. Plus I'm probably moving. No reason to start something here.

• Author
Maybe I missed it, but did you ever get the ring back? If not, you can add 'thief' to her list of badness, and consider that is the price you paid to learn a lesson and dodge a bullet. If you did get it back, do something nice for yourself with the money you get for it, have some fun and, still, consider how close you came to taking a head shot from an Uzi...:laugh:

Yes, I got the ring back. I asked for it back a few weeks after the first talk of a "break."

I agree. I also think this new group of friends has changed her way of thinking. She wants to go out and be single and have a good time instead of being married. I think all of this comes from being young and immature. She has never lived on her own. Still lives with her parents because she can save money.

As for the cheating part, I wouldn't consider it cheating as we weren't together but we were working back toward that. I wouldn't have any trust issues.

However, it's clear she's all over the place emotionally and I don't need to be tugged with her. She needs to figure it out for herself. And I'm sure she will at some point.

Time to go no contact, which is difficult considering she sits right across from me.

I agree with your Viewpoint except don't make the mistake of blaming it on Friends. She has her own brain and as you know she's just still developing and in the process of still growing up. Don't get it all with her friends like. They said that this is her and don't try to turn her against friends or penalize them for it. She really just committed too soon and not because of Any deficit in you but because she just isn't mature enough.

• Like 2
  • Author
I agree with your Viewpoint except don't make the mistake of blaming it on Friends. She has her own brain and as you know she's just still developing and in the process of still growing up. Don't get it all with her friends like. They said that this is her and don't try to turn her against friends or penalize them for it. She really just committed too soon and not because of Any deficit in you but because she just isn't mature enough.

Thanks for your insightful replies. I appreciate it. I'm not blaming anyone except her and myself. But I agree. I honestly believe as the engagement continued, she realized she wasn't ready for it and her actions (going out partying and drinking with friends) show that.

This is all very sad. I'm extremely bothered by it. The last few days have been rough.

Attraction has been lost.... she has new attractions now. She simply was living a double life. One with you the perfect life and the new found life with her friends living a dual life. She strung you along because typically what women do is take two scenarios and see how they "feel" instead of doing what is right and cutting "the other scenario" or not expressing how they feel and building resentment.

Its very possible if the friends did not show up the marriage would have continued. Why do you think guys go out and try to get girls to drink? It opens them up and increases sexual promiscuity. It taps into their emotions and it taps into parts of the mind that is blocked by morality (this is for both men and women). A new "high" has been created and she cannot resist and she also must block the pain of the break-up and what better way to do that is get a new guy.

BTW I look thru your previous threads.. I have a lot of respect for you. I know pretty much why your having problems. You are too nice and I suggest you date older women. The new generation of younger women don't even know what to do with a nice guy like your self. If you can I suggest you read "No more Mr. nice guy"

Edited by Sweetfish
  • Like 2
  • Author
Attraction has been lost.... she has new attractions now. She simply was living a double life. One with you the perfect life and the new found life with her friends living a dual life. She strung you along because typically what women do is take two scenarios and see how they "feel" instead of doing what is right and cutting "the other scenario" or not expressing how they feel and building resentment.

Its very possible if the friends did not show up the marriage would have continued. Why do you think guys go out and try to get girls to drink? It opens them up and increases sexual promiscuity. It taps into their emotions and it taps into parts of the mind that is blocked by morality (this is for both men and women). A new "high" has been created and she cannot resist and she also must block the pain of the break-up and what better way to do that is get a new guy.

BTW I look thru your previous threads.. I have a lot of respect for you. I know pretty much why your having problems. You are too nice and I suggest you date older women. The new generation of younger women don't even know what to do with a nice guy like your self. If you can I suggest you read "No more Mr. nice guy"

Appreciate the opinion.

I don't think I'm too nice though. And not going to change who I am either.

• Author

Feeling down this week. I've been no contact (to the best of my ability since I work with her) for more than a week and I'm beginning to miss her. Still can't believe this happened.

Why is this so difficult for me but not for her? It's not fair.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Let me update you about the rollercoaster I've been on since early September. And yes, I know I'm a damn fool.

The ex-fiance found out that I was moving several states away. She called, texted and begged for me to meet with her to talk. We did and the conversation went well. During my last few weeks there, she showed up at my house a few times randomly. I felt like she was really trying to make things work.

When I moved, she insisted she wanted to try to make things work. And stupidly, I believed her. You see, she just wanted me there for comfort. Because guess what? The other guy was still in the picture. When I found out she was still talking to him, we argued and I ended it. I went no contact for three weeks.

Then, I had to return home to move the rest of my stuff. She found out I was back in town through co workers and called, texted me dozens of times. I told her to stop. Then... I kid you not, she called my Mom!!! My Mom gave it to her good and told her to leave me alone and to let me live my life. My Mother, who LOVED this girl, told her how disappointed she was in her. Clearly wasn't the response she was expecting.

Stupid me... She texted me today and I responded... After several weeks of NC. Guess what??? Another argument. And she's still with this other guy!!! Saying she's happy.

What gives???

Why do I enjoy torturing myself?

If you get married you are going to join all the other spouses who complain about their marriage because they thought they could change their spouse or they would magically change themselves. You two do not seem suited for each other and no more amount of time is going to change that. I will never understand men and women who settle because they do not want to be single again or call off an engagement.

Consider this, you already have a 50% chance of getting a divorce simply by getting married. Your odds will change dramatically if you are not married to a person who is all that you want and loves you unconditionally. I called off my engagement and as a result I met my wonderful wife of 45 years who has spent most of our marriage taking care of me and our home. Plus she is bi and shares her girlfriends with me. That is good too. :) The point is do not settle for someone you are always fighting with. I do not even know why some as for advice when it is obvious what the problem is. Your life to ruin or not.

I’m a younger woman and would appreciate a nice man, as would some of my peers. I feel most men are ****bois. If Op is nice as you say, he is certainly not common. He just hasn’t found the right woman to appreciate him yet.

Let me update you about the rollercoaster I've been on since early September. And yes, I know I'm a damn fool.

The ex-fiance found out that I was moving several states away. She called, texted and begged for me to meet with her to talk. We did and the conversation went well. During my last few weeks there, she showed up at my house a few times randomly. I felt like she was really trying to make things work.

When I moved, she insisted she wanted to try to make things work. And stupidly, I believed her. You see, she just wanted me there for comfort. Because guess what? The other guy was still in the picture. When I found out she was still talking to him, we argued and I ended it. I went no contact for three weeks.

Then, I had to return home to move the rest of my stuff. She found out I was back in town through co workers and called, texted me dozens of times. I told her to stop. Then... I kid you not, she called my Mom!!! My Mom gave it to her good and told her to leave me alone and to let me live my life. My Mother, who LOVED this girl, told her how disappointed she was in her. Clearly wasn't the response she was expecting.

Stupid me... She texted me today and I responded... After several weeks of NC. Guess what??? Another argument. And she's still with this other guy!!! Saying she's happy.

What gives???

Why do I enjoy torturing myself?

It’s time to block her number. It’s time to let her go. She clearly doesn’t love or respect you to treat you this way. The fact that is she is even with this guy speaks volumes. She’s not trying to work on **** but playing games. You seem like a nice guy and there are better woman who would cherish and respect you. Just think about it, every time she comes in your life, you get hurt. Meanwhile, months later she is still with this guy. Be fortunate you found out the real her now than being in a miserable marriage.

• Like 1

Man come on she was dragging you to counseling and SEEING someone else?!?!?

I tell you she has no morals. I wouldn't trust ANYTHING that comes out of her mouth.

Your second string. She calls you up when she's mad or something isn't working out with the other. That's it. And deep down you know this.

I know where your coming from. I've been there. Your analyze every text from her trying to find the "meaning" behind it. You replay certain events and have a bunch of "what ifs" in the back of your mind.

She doesn't love you- at least in the way you deserve to be loved.

Look how easily she became swayed when she met a new group of people even though you were ENGAGED. Know what that means?

She could call you tomorrow and swear to you her undying love for you.

And lets say you take her back. Somewhere down the line she will repeat past mistakes. She's already shown the ability to you to be with you AND someone else.

You will never trust her FULLY again and why would you?

BLOCK her number. I know its hard but its really your only choice.

• Like 1