a question of politeness.

mustangsally

I have not had any contact with my ex for a long while. I sent him a letter about a month ago apologizing for something that I had did after a month break from me talking to him (after I had said some really awful stuff to him). In between the verbal diarhea and the apology, there was no contact and there still isn't. I requested for him to kind of stay away from me as he thought he could call me and be all buddy buddy and talk to me about stupid crap.

Anyway, I left something at his house like 4 months ago. In the beginning i asked for it back and he said he'd mail it. We kept talking for about a month after the break and I never asked for it again. I actually forgot about it....it really wasn't a pressing issue.

On Friday, my ex actually came to my house and delivered the item to my mother (i was not there). It was sitting on the table when I came home and I didn't even connect it...it had been that long. He lives quite far away but he claimed he was "in the neighborhood" and just wanted to give it to me. (fyi, he doesn't know anyone where I live, so there would be no reason for him to be down there.)

He is still on my buddy list (I KNOW!) but I don't talk to him. I feel like I'm kind of being rude by not thanking him for the item and for going out of his way to give it to me. But at the same time, I really don't want to look like I'm sitting here and am like "OMIGAWD C., YOU ARE THE SWEETEST GUY EVER!!!" because right now, he's not on my list of favorite people.

Is it rude to just ignore it? And of course there is the question of "Why do you care at all what he thinks?" but the only reason is because I have mutual friends and he is going to my college next year and I don't want him to be brooding about how I was so mean for not thanking him for going out of his way to make a nice gesture.

I think its fishy. Its some weird plot to make me pay attention to him....which is what I feel it is to be honest. I've been very good at ignoring him for a while and before I was never very good at it. I think its freaking him out a little bit.

LucreziaBorgia

Next time you run into him by chance, just say "hey, thanks for dropping that ____ off at my Mom's house." There's no real reason to make a big deal out of it, or go out of your way agonizing over 'what it means'.