Feeling guilty about the ring...

Hey everyone. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for here...maybe a guilt session or a vent session, but maybe you can help me?

A few months ago I ended a relationship with someone I had wanted to spend my life with. It wasn't working...I loved him so much (and he loved me) but it became apparent he had to let go of his past to successfully move on to a happy future with me (long story). We also had a lot of major differences in our viewpoints on life...I'm still grieving the end of it and it's so hard, but I know it was for the best.

There was a point in time we were really happy and talking about the future. We even went to go look at rings for fun so he could get a read on what I liked...I fell in love with this super expensive one (not intentionally, I swear! The style was just really nice), but I would never expect him to spend that much (about 10k). I actually spent the next day or so trying to find similar ones that weren't expensive, as that amount of money seemed WAY too high for a ring and I'm also not the type to expect an expensive ring.

Fast forward months later and after the breakup...he tells me he had gone back the next day and bought the ring. I believe him...I feel so incredibly bad. He did it during a time when we were happy and I'm fairly sure he can't return it now.

How should I feel? I know there isn't anything I can do...he bought it when he was certain we would have a future (as did I)...I just feel like a mess. He knows and understands why I had to end things...but I still hate he was stuck with the expensive ring.