Anyone ever reconcile with a coworker after a breakup?

Ah LS, I am back *sad face*

I added coworker on FB in October. I always make statuses that are funny or uplifting. In December she sent me a private message at 12:30 at night regarding a funny status I made and I replied since I couldn’t sleep. We talked for a good 30 minutes. She invited me out later that week and we started hanging out more and more. By January we were exclusive.

She came from a lot of bad relationships and 2 ½ weeks into it she started accusing me of things that weren’t really happening. Got in a big fight, but we worked it out right away. A week later we got in another big argument, and worked it out 2 days later. Fast forward a week and I noticed she was becoming very distant and weird. I saw that she messaged her best friend that she kissed another guy. I called her out on it and she said, “we were broken up”. She couldn’t even take the blame. We had a fight, but we didn’t break up. I just up and walked out of her house at that point.

Two days after that she went out drinking and started texting me. I still had feelings for her and she was just going to get in her car and drive home because none of her friends would pick her up. I went and picked her up at 2am because I didn’t want to see her get in an accident because she was starting to go passed the ‘buzzed’ stage. We ended up talking for a few hours and she cried a lot and I felt like she genuinely was sorry. I gave her another chance. Things were going really well, other than the fact that she stayed in contact with this guy all day, every day.

3 weeks passed and I was getting tired of it so I wrote her a letter basically saying how much I cared for her but the guy has to go because whenever I brought it up in person she’d cut me off like it was not a big deal. It took 3 days of texting back and forth before she made her decision, to break up with me (this past Sunday). I did NC for 2 days and this morning I was hurting so bad by it that I text her. We text each other all day. She told me this guy is finally out of the picture (why wait until now to tell me?!). I have never been mean to her and always honest and upfront. She said she can’t be the person I need right now. I text back all I want is honesty and someone who loves me equally. It’s not that hard. Haven’t heard back.

I didn’t sound like I was begging, just letting her know I think we can work it out. Even threw in some inside jokes to keep it lite. I know I’m stupid for trying to hang on to her and be forgiving after all the mean things she’s done but I fell for her fast. I always have a hard time getting over relationships. It takes me a while when the person is out of the picture permanently, but I work with this girl and I see her every day. It kills me. I don’t know what to do. She has many friends to help her get her mind off of me (if she was ever even in to me) and I literally have just co-workers who are supportive of me. Outside of work I’m just a poor guy trying to get by alone. :(

Has anyone ever reconciled with a coworker? I was SO good to her because I wanted to show her that there is good out there (because of all her abusive past relationships). She said she doesn't want me to think I have to disappear from her life. I can’t really go full NC and I know NC is for me, not to get her back. I’m just in the ‘hope’ stage I guess and curious if anyone has reconciled after being dumped by a coworker.

Reconciled meaning "got back together" or reconciled meaning "friends"?

Your workplace shouldn't witness the likely drama of the first one.

• Author

I don't think I could just be friends with her. It'd have to be all or nothing. All, as in, she stops with the little white lies all the time and actually wants to be with me. So getting back together is what I'm referring to.

I've deleted her off everything including her number, except FB. I'll wait on that one for a week or two. I've only told maybe 4 close coworkers that we broke up when they noticed how down I was on Monday. I've never once talked badly about her, even when the cheating happened. She's ruining her own reputation by spreading the gossip of what happened between us, some even lies. I'm well known and well liked at work so it comes back to me, I don't confront her about it as I'm not into drama. I figure she's just taking her anger out on me behind my back because SHE decided to end it. Makes no sense! I think she does that because she wants people on her side and wants me to look like the bad guy.

Anyways, I ignore her unless I have to say hi, then I'm polite. I just try to act happy or have a good laugh with coworkers whenever she's around. It hurts that we aren't together because she did mean a lot to me. I just wish she felt the same way. I guess the most NC I can do is just ignore her until I have to talk to her at work, which is rare.

Edited by Thorgs
  • Author

Something interesting happened. After 2 days of actual NC she text me yesterday after work saying she'd be at a pizza place near my house (I got her son really hooked on it and it's all he wants now) and said I could join her there if I want to actually talk. Curiously, I took the bait I went. I thought she wanted to reconcile but boy was I wrong! She tried pushing me into the friendship category and I said I can't because I have to many feelings. She understood.

After work today I got a girls number at Happy Hour and I deleted the co-worker off of FB to not be tempted to look at her profile. I just got a text from her telling me I'm childish, but she wont even say why. What the actual heck. I even told her if it's because I deleted her it's not because of her, but for me to move on. Still, she wont tell me why.

Oh, the joys of the heart!

Well......in my experiences (twice) I can say one was absolutely horrible. We hooked up and although she said she was getting a divorce she wasn't. So I ended it. She was pissed afterwards and on some days work was hell.

A few years later I hooked up with another coworker. I was definitely a rebound for her and she ended it after about 3 weeks. I didn't hold it against as she was respectful about it. We remain friends with no issues.

Moral of the story? I promised myself I was done hooking up with coworkers.