Could I turn things around?

Hi

I broke up with my girlfriend of one year just a few weeks ago. We had been arguing recently and the arguments took their toll on the relationship.

I had been suffering from depression, and was always snapping at her and she felt miserable, so she left me. She has moved back home to stay with her family.

The last few days have been tough - she has said she wants to be alone, to have some space, some time, to be selfish as she is tired of putting me first.

That was hard for me to take, and I begged and pleaded. I promised to have changed. She didn't take me back - instead becoming very angry toward me for not listening. She cleared (most) of her stuff out of my flat, and has like I said gone to stay with her family in a different county.

Before she left, she said to me "I love you very much, but I have to put myself first, for a while". She has also mentioned wanting to "monitor my progress" - I imagine watching me to see if I actually have changed, I don't know.

Yesterday, I felt very sad and sent her a whole load of desperate pleading messages. She wasn't very happy. So I sent her a sort of fake message, indicating that I was going to begin to move on, etc. She didn't reply to it.

This morning, I had to ask her for some money toward the househole costs. She sent me more than I had asked for, and when I questioned why, she said that she knew I needed to get stuff in to eat etc.

I then showed her a conversation between me and a friend, and she said,

"why didn't you tell me this?"

It was just an argument between me and a friend. She then went on to say, "It doesn't matter now, but please don't lie to me and hide things from me" and "I would be more angry if you don't tell me the full story then if you hide things from me". Basically, she was being very nice.

About half an hour after that, she sent me a photo of herself with her parents (they were out having lunch, and sending me pictures is something she used to do).

I guess, today's conversation with us has been positive, much more positive than it has been.

I am working on moving on, but I really do love her and want to show her that I've changed. Not in a desperate way, but I have a deep love for her and a deep respect. I want to spend my life with this person. I have had so many unsuccessful attempts at love. I believe she is the one.

What can I do to show her that I've changed, that I am kinder, more supportive, more mature? Bearing in mind that we only have texts at our disposal and the fact that she will be near me for work?

I think the whole sending me money and the whole "don't lie or hide things" are both very positive signs.

That was hard for me to take, and I begged and pleaded. I promised to have changed. She didn't take me back - instead becoming very angry toward me for not listening. She cleared (most) of her stuff out of my flat, and has like I said gone to stay with her family in a different county.

Yesterday, I felt very sad and sent her a whole load of desperate pleading messages. She wasn't very happy. So I sent her a sort of fake message, indicating that I was going to begin to move on, etc. She didn't reply to it.

*What can I do to show her that I've changed, that I am kinder, more supportive, more mature? Bearing in mind that we only have texts at our disposal and the fact that she will be near me for work?

If there is one thing that's guaranteed to sicken almost any woman, it's a man who is begging and pleading. You should really never ever, do that to any woman, if you want to be respected by her.

* Stop begging and pleading.

I'll make that my only comment for now.

Please think about this, for your own sake.

Edited by Satu
  • Author
If there is one thing that's guaranteed to sicken almost any woman, it's a man who is begging and pleading. You should really never ever, do that to any woman, if you want to be respected by her.

* Stop begging and pleading.

I'll make that my only comment for now.

Please think about this, for your own sake.

I have, and she seems more receptive toward me.