ex boyfriends best friend called me (platonic)

Hi everyone, I was in a serious relationship with a great guy for 6 months. About a month ago he broke up with me pretty suddenly. I did not see it coming. He has alot going on in his life right now, work, family, financial stress. I have not heard from him at all since. Ive tried contacting him by text and called him once. Never got a response. But decided to go nc for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I was hoping he just needed some space and time to figure stuff out. And I needed to start taking care of myself and get my head straight.

So last night I got a call from his best friend. It was the last person I would ever expect to hear from. We got along great and hes a nice guy, but I havent spoken to him since he moved away in September. He said he heard about what happened with us and he was very sorry to hear it. I didnt say much about that because i wanted to hear what he had to say. He was telling me how his fiance and daughter just moved there and now theyre all together and very happy. He said we should all get together and do something sometime. He asked me about health insurance options. I work in hr and handle benefits, so that could explain why he was asking me my opinion on that. It caught me by suprise and I was thinking that maybe my ex asked him to call me. I know im probly reading too far into it and maybe it was just a friendly call, but isnt there some unspoken rule about ex's friends not staying in touch with the ex girlfiend or reaching out to them?

Im hoping that my ex would like to try and get back together. But he hasnt contacted me so I dont know what else to do but stay busy and give him space.