New Breakup and how to cope

Hi Really looking for some advice and pointers in the right direction and how to cope!

Back in February 2014 I walked away from a loveless relationship, 21 years with no problems at all and to this day still don't miss the man and would never consider taking him back.

I started a new relationship in April and this has completely screwed me up. The start of the relationship was very intense, the man was the opposite to my ex and showed great enthusiasm to everything in life and laughed a lot.

We split at the end of July as his ex had taken an overdose and he felt obliged to go back. I was absolutely gutted and became very depressed and started having panic attacks over the loss, it felt like a bereavement. We kept in contact via text, everyday and phone calls for months. But in November he called to the house and we had sex, he called again last week and the inevitable happened, sex again.

Really cant understand why I love this man so much but today have sent him a text saying, I love him but he must concentrate on his family and get his life at home sorted and would appreciate if we had no further contact and assured him that I would not cause him any bother, as his family knew nothing about me.

I am going through the grieving process once again and my stomach is churning violently but am determined and sticking to my guns that I shall not respond to his texts of contact him at all.

What I really don't understand is how I could fall so quickly and passionately for this man and why it has had such an effect on me emotionally. Not sure how long it will take to get over it and back to normal, only time will tell ..... Has anyone any tips on how to stay strong and get on with life.

Really need some help with this one as its a new experience for me, plus in the past I have always finished relationships myself with my ex's.

To me you had finally found what you were lacking during those 21 years, and to all of a sudden go "cold turkey" must have been hard.

I am super impressed by your decision. It's not easy to maintain firm NC.

I hope you meet someone available soon.

• Author

Thank you Elle, hasn't been one of the easiest things I have ever had to do, but I am sure with NC the pain will lessen, especially if he sticks to it.

At least he never knew how I felt about him until today and fortunately he didn't reply to my text.