Not sure I ever loved her, so why does this hurt so much?

CurlyTraveller

CurlyTraveller

In the 1.5 years I was with my ex I never really told her I loved her. There were many reasons I used to justify this to myself. For example:

We're both expats in a foreign country, lets not get too serious.

We're splitting up for 4 months when she goes back to the USA, don't give her false hope.

She's back in the USA now, we might not reunite, so what's the point?

We've just reunited, its too soon.

Ad nauseum...

The thing is, I just never felt all that stuff you were supposed to feel. The butterflies, the inability to see yourself with anyone else etc. To be fair, this was my first serious relationship, so maybe I just didn't know real love when I saw it. But everyone I asked about this back then told me that you just KNOW. She for her part definitely was in love with me, and for a long time too. But like a flower that goes unwatered, her feelings eventually died.

Its been two months, and I just had a major relapse after seeing her last week. I see just how much I ****ed up in that relationship. And although she is certainly not without fault (her actions pre/post breakup were pretty rough), I feel like I let the best thing that ever happened to me just walk out of my life.

I need help guys. What can I do to stop feeling like this?

Edited by CurlyTraveller