Does the awkwardness with an ex ever truly go away?

I just want to know if things ever actually go back to the way they were..in the sense..will there always be tension, or a awkwardness...unspoken of course, in case things were never "settled" or ended badly.

Just want your opinions.

I just want to know if things ever actually go back to the way they were..in the sense..will there always be tension, or a awkwardness...unspoken of course, in case things were never "settled" or ended badly.

Just want your opinions.

I think it would take a long time to go away if it does. I guess it depends on how amicably it ends. I would think it would be awkward in most cases, but I think the best chance of it not being awkward is if you need to see the person on a regular basis (you have kids for instance). I guess you would become desensitized at some point in that case. I would think that the more time you spend apart and for longer periods, the more awkward it would be if you ran into one another.

By the time you see each other at your 10 year graduation reunion, you will be fine. For the rest of your academic time together it will be weird. Sorry.