is the "I just cant be in a relationship right now" line

and its variants ("I need some time to work on myself" etc) EVER legit??? or is it usually just a polite way of saying "I CAN be in a relationship right now.... but not with you"???

after "let's just be friends" (which usually means "have a nice life") this is the most common dumping line I have seen.

at first I believed it but then I found out through mutual friends that the dumper hooked up with another guy one day after dumping me so the whole "I just dont want to be in a relationship with anyone" line was obviously a lie!

in your experience is this line usually just a polite way of saying "I am looking for a relationship... but not with you" or is it EVER actually legit???

It can be legit.

High stress levels, just having left a bad relationship, I have turned down guys because I truly felt torn apart inside.

There was no way I could have been in a relationship at that time.

• Like 1
and its variants ("I need some time to work on myself" etc) EVER legit??? or is it usually just a polite way of saying "I CAN be in a relationship right now.... but not with you"???

after "let's just be friends" (which usually means "have a nice life") this is the most common dumping line I have seen.

at first I believed it but then I found out through mutual friends that the dumper hooked up with another guy one day after dumping me so the whole "I just dont want to be in a relationship with anyone" line was obviously a lie!

in your experience is this line usually just a polite way of saying "I am looking for a relationship... but not with you" or is it EVER actually legit???

I guess it can be legit in some cases. In my case it wasn't. He needed "time alone" because his life "was a mess", but three weeks after the BU he had a new girlfriend. Well, maybe three weeks alone was all he needed to get his life back together :p

• Like 1
It can be legit.

High stress levels, just having left a bad relationship, I have turned down guys because I truly felt torn apart inside.

There was no way I could have been in a relationship at that time.

Same after separating from my husband. I wasn't ready for anything for years and that had nothing to do with the men I met.

• Like 1

The prepositional phrase "with you" is silent but implied.

If you were perfect for the speaker of that phrase, they would make time or get over their problem.

• Like 2