Why do people get fat after a breakup?

I lost weight (coz i got fat during our relationship) after my ex dumped, cheated and left me for someone else. I pursued my hobbies, worked on my career, dress up and tried to look really good etc. I wanted to be on top of the game so one day my ex would just look at me from afar, regretting. i mean it had such huge impact on me, it changed my life (i think for the better)

My ex on the other hand got super fat and grew a goatee...like seriously when i saw him in his latest pictures, i felt like a dated a really really old guy. He is still with this girl whom he cheated with .lol

He is spending his time with someone else. So he probably has no time to get into shape. I remember I used to be fat too when I was with my GF. After we broke up, she immediately went to another relationship which made her fat. She called me after a year when she saw that I got into shape again. I didn't take her back. :)

• Like 1
Lernaean_Hydra

The one thing I've noticed about breakups is - depending on how severe - there will generally be a noticeable change in weight (+/-). Breakups can lead to depression which can lead to over or under-eating to extreme degrees.

However, given that your ex is the one who cheated and moved right on, it doesn't sound like this is the case. Were you very health conscious with him? Do you know if the girl he's with now is really fat or likes to cook/eat? I've seen it at least a hundred times when someone gets into a new relationship where food is the central dynamic for some reason.

Whatever the cause, consider looking like a fat old man his karmic retribution for his wandering penis :D.

Because they get depressed and their self-esteem takes a hit so they turn to fatty food either for comfort or because they cant be bothered or are too depressed to make the effort of cooking healthy food.

I speak from experience.

• Like 2
Because they get depressed and their self-esteem takes a hit so they turn to fatty food either for comfort or because they cant be bothered or are too depressed to make the effort of cooking healthy food.

I speak from experience.

I guess it's case to case. I got depressed on my most recent break up but instead of drinking and eating I went to the gym and did a lot of outdoor activities (you can see my avatar). I maintained my weight so far. So I guess i'm losing fat and gaining some muscles.

within 2 weeks after the break up tho, I was a complete mess. I was drunk everyday and I was crying infront of my closest buddies. Feels so embarrasing looking back. Thank God I was over that..

generally, they get skinnier, because they've gone on the divorce diet

sounds like your guy got fat because he was in a relationship with someone

I get fat when I am miserable... I start stuffing my face and don't go out much or do much.

Unfortunately for my ex its when I was with him! So after we broke up I lost loads... He did me a massive favour that day.

The weight loss has slowed so I need to give myself a kick to get it going again.

There are 2 ways people can go.

1. Stuff their faces with comfort food and hide and cry = weight gain

2. Worry, stress and forget to eat, not sleep, fidget and cry = weight loss

Your ex is probably comfortable and will not bother shedding pounds until his new lassy goes and steals another boyfriend thats a bit skinnier from someone else. ;)

Belly fat makes a dick shrink so be glad you had a bigger dick to be with than she gets.

And stop stalking him already. It's unhealthy.

I lost weight (coz i got fat during our relationship) after my ex dumped, cheated and left me for someone else. I pursued my hobbies, worked on my career, dress up and tried to look really good etc. I wanted to be on top of the game so one day my ex would just look at me from afar, regretting. i mean it had such huge impact on me, it changed my life (i think for the better)

My ex on the other hand got super fat and grew a goatee...like seriously when i saw him in his latest pictures, i felt like a dated a really really old guy. He is still with this girl whom he cheated with .lol

Well, honestly, seeing your ex get fat with someone he cheated on you with should only make you feel GREAT and make you laugh at the situation! I know seeing that would make me feel great. lol

It's weird, because in the beginning of a break up I go through periods of binge eating, then after two weeks, I'm like you... I'm back in the gym and I lose tons of weight. Not my most recent ex, but the ex before him whom I dated last summer... when we broke up, I was in the gym every day and I lost 20 lbs! I felt great about myself.

With my most recent, I went through binge eating, but then started the gym again last week and am not going to stop. I want to feel good about myself and not let a relationship or person ruin me.

Your situation is great, though. You probably look amazing while he looks like crap, and as vain as it sounds, it feels good! Lol... keep focusing on you and don't look back. Let him sleep in the bed he made. :)

Michelle ma Belle

Gaining weight or getting fat has very little to do with food and more to do with a person's emotional state. The same goes for those that do not eat and lose weight. Everyone is different in our they deal with various stresses in their lives.

Well, I hate to point it out, but he may have gained weight because he's happy with the new girl, simple as that.

As for weight gain, we all react in different manners to stress. Some people overeat, some people stop eating. I personally have trouble sleeping if I am stressed.

• Like 1

When I feel comfortable and happy in a relationship, I gain weight.

Now, being dumped, I lost more than i wanted too.

IF one day I will end up in a relationship again, I will surely gain weight again.

I hated running before the BU, but running with some tunes blasting my ears for miles on end has been extremely therapeutic. On rest days, I miss the emotional release that running gives me and I wish I was running! I would have never thought I would say this months ago.

I also enjoy the gamification of activities, and I have taken to sticking to a strict lower calorie diet and the feeling of accomplishment when I make it through a day at my calorie limit. It is something I have to think about and plan all day, and has been good not only for my body, but also something to distract me.

I lost 100 lbs after my first breakup and 80 lbs after my latest.

You must've been quite the porker...or not, actually

In my case, I completely lost my appetite for a few months. It was dizziness reminded me to eat, not hunger.

I also started running a lot, as a way of using up all the stress hormones and calming me down when I got angry.

As a result I lost about 40lbs or so, but not in a particularly healthy way (I lost it too quickly, I just stopped eating).

It was the same for me. Dizziness not hunger would make me force something down. I lost 60 lbs. it seems like men really starve themselves to death.

He might be gaining weight just simply because he can't think of any other activities to do with the new girl so they go to dinner.

I read somewhere that 3 breakups with huge weight losses can take something like 20 to 30 years off of your life. Not sure of the exact stats but I had 4 big weight losses so I am on borrowed time. ;)

I guess because you lose so much muscle to go with the starving and your heart is part of that muscle loss.

It was the same for me. Dizziness not hunger would make me force something down. I lost 60 lbs. it seems like men really starve themselves to death.

He might be gaining weight just simply because he can't think of any other activities to do with the new girl so they go to dinner.

I read somewhere that 3 breakups with huge weight losses can take something like 20 to 30 years off of your life. Not sure of the exact stats but I had 4 big weight losses so I am on borrowed time. ;)

I guess because you lose so much muscle to go with the starving and your heart is part of that muscle loss.

That is scary news. I lost a lot of musle tone and strength laying around. Im trying very hard to get active again, it is not easy at all. Yas

Edited by Yasuandio

I lost lots of weight, due to stress and loss of appetite as well as lack of exercise. Now I have binges and have put the weight back on.

After my last breakup, I lost about 25 pounds. But like the U.S. economy, my weight currently fluctuates up and down; depending on how clean I eat, and how physically active I am.