It's time to break up! Text? Or call?

Juswantmore

I know the civil fair thing to do is call and cordially say... Sorry I can't had me the drama and fights anymore BUT when you dealing with an irrational person who is going to be very emotional which in turn is going to make me emotional and try and talk me into not doing this is it acceptable to do it via text? Please inform as I'm about to end a 2 yr ( on and off) relationship:( it's time!!!

Why cant you do it in person ?

Every break up is always emotional but if you have made up your mind ..then stand your ground.

Michelle ma Belle

You clearly know what the RIGHT thing to do is yet you're on here looking for a stranger's blessing on taking the path of least resistance.

Sorry but I can't give it to you. You've got 2 years of history with this other person and that deserves a mature good bye regardless of how they might react.

• Like 1
Lernaean_Hydra

If you really don't want to try and work things out with someone, no amount of crying, begging, pleading or swearing on their part can or will change your mind. So, that being said, if you are firm and resolute in your decision, I see no earthly reason why you can't break things in person, and if not fact to face that at least by phone.

A text message breakup is just terrible and low and best reserved for cutting off a burgeoning relationship if it must be done that way at all but definitely not for something that's been going on two years in whatever capacity.

My ex was a total nutcase, so much so that I was fearful of his reaction for safety reasons but I still managed to break up with him 'face to face' (it was via Skype at the time for logistic reasons).

OP do it in person, its the right way. It sucks being dumped by text msg.

I know the civil fair thing to do is call and cordially say... Sorry I can't had me the drama and fights anymore BUT when you dealing with an irrational person who is going to be very emotional which in turn is going to make me emotional and try and talk me into not doing this is it acceptable to do it via text? Please inform as I'm about to end a 2 yr ( on and off) relationship:( it's time!!!

Last time I was broken up with, it was done very rudely, no explanation, via text. Straight left me hanging.

I just broke up with a girl I was very casually dating for 4 months last night (not my girlfriend, just friends sleeping together but she deserves respect). I called her because we both do live far away and it wouldn't be practical to meet in person. I was very stern, explained why I feel an end is necessary, then stated I'm here for her if she has any questions or comments. Very business like, but not cold and inpersonal.

Do it via call or in person. Text is cheap, disrespectful, and regardless of the situation, this is a person you 'once' cared about.

After 2 dates maybe I'd let you slide with a text but you need to end a 2 year relationship in person. To do anything else is classless & borderline rude. If you think you can be talked into staying maybe you aren't as "done" as you think.

• Like 1
Simon Phoenix

Honestly, no matter how you do it is going to be devastating. There's no way to break up with someone that will make them feel better about it. They aren't going to appreciate the way you break up with them.

That being said, doing it in person is preferable. However, when you do it, be quick and to the point. Do not give them the "it's not you, it's me" routine, do not tell them "maybe in the future" or "only time will tell." Go in there and be surgical -- tell them it's over, wish them the best of luck, answer a few questions honestly and directly (the more you try to "soften the fall", the more you will confuse and torment them), and get out of there as soon as possible. Don't be rude, but don't give open-ended answers that contain false hope. I would do it over coffee -- don't have a dinner.