Triggers...avoid or confront ?

Hey guys

When i was dating my ex we went to the movies alot, and now all the movies we watched are playin on tv. Every time i see a movie we watched together i would avoid it to not go in to nastalgia mode. Tonight there was nothing on execpt Grown Ups 2 wich we saw together at the cinema. I watched it and it didnt make me think of her too much to my surprise. It seems like making an effort to avoid them is worse than sayin screw it im watching it.

So heres my question, is it better to avoid triggers or to try and face them to maybe realise its not so bad after all?

What does everbody think?

mtnbiker3000
Hey guys

When i was dating my ex we went to the movies alot, and now all the movies we watched are playin on tv. Every time i see a movie we watched together i would avoid it to not go in to nastalgia mode. Tonight there was nothing on execpt Grown Ups 2 wich we saw together at the cinema. I watched it and it didnt make me think of her too much to my surprise. It seems like making an effort to avoid them is worse than sayin screw it im watching it.

So heres my question, is it better to avoid triggers or to try and face them to maybe realise its not so bad after all?

What does everbody think?

I personally avoid any and all triggers. With time they become less and less in number :cool:

Try confronting them. If it's too painful, you can remove yourself from the trigger for the time being. But over time, the same trigger will be less and less painful for you. It's a good sign that you watched that movie and it wasn't so bad. :)

I say don't confront them right now. If you do confront the triggers, it needs to be in the future when you are more emotionally stable. I wouldn't go out of my way to confront a trigger, but there are times you can't control what you see.

• Author
I say don't confront them right now. If you do confront the triggers, it needs to be in the future when you are more emotionally stable. I wouldn't go out of my way to confront a trigger, but there are times you can't control what you see.

Oh no i dont go out of my way to do it but tonight i did it and it kinda felt good, kind of feels like i regained a tiny bit of control over my life...

mtnbiker3000

Nice work, sir. Baby steps. This is a war of attrition. Day by day battles. You'll win some and lose some. Celebrate the victories no matter how small!!!

Simon Phoenix

Depends how good the movie is. I probably would have avoided Grown Ups 2, but something like Wolf of Wall Street I'd confront head on.

mtnbiker3000

Grown Ups part I was pretty funny and part II wasn't bad either. I like most of those guys. Pretty good laughs abound :p

I avoid the triggers, but I am also only a week and a half removed from our relationship.

Sucks a little bit though, because my ex and I both really loved watching movies/TV shows and talking about them, so I have a pretty long list of things I can't watch without getting sad. As part of our temporary LDR arrangement (I am near the end of an 11-month trip overseas for work) we were watching a couple of shows "together" on Netflix and watching them, and I really have no clue when I will be able to finish that shows that we were supposed to finish together, as much as I like them.

OP, how long since your break-up that you are now able to watch things that you really associate with your ex/how long were you together? I'd like to get there too in the not-so-distant future, and just curious about the time frame.

• Author
I avoid the triggers, but I am also only a week and a half removed from our relationship.

Sucks a little bit though, because my ex and I both really loved watching movies/TV shows and talking about them, so I have a pretty long list of things I can't watch without getting sad. As part of our temporary LDR arrangement (I am near the end of an 11-month trip overseas for work) we were watching a couple of shows "together" on Netflix and watching them, and I really have no clue when I will be able to finish that shows that we were supposed to finish together, as much as I like them.

OP, how long since your break-up that you are now able to watch things that you really associate with your ex/how long were you together? I'd like to get there too in the not-so-distant future, and just curious about the time frame.

We were together for 9 months broken up for almost 2 months

We were together for 9 months broken up for almost 2 months

Ok, so about 20 percent of the relationship. So maybe I'll try finishing The Office and Angel when I get to the six month mark. Thanks for the info.

For the 2 months before that, did you avoid triggers like that?

• Author
Ok, so about 20 percent of the relationship. So maybe I'll try finishing The Office and Angel when I get to the six month mark. Thanks for the info.

For the 2 months before that, did you avoid triggers like that?

Yes i avoided as much as possible but there are so many it seems almost impossible. The fact that we live in a very small town doesnt help any. Dont get me wrong im not over this BU by any stretch i just decided to take a little of her influence on me away. I took a chance and had positive results, im still weary tho, im not about to go head first and pretend like im over it because im not.

forgetmenot75

AVOID. AT ALL COSTS.

Yet, movies and tv shows...how can you possible avoid that if you love them indeed?

Tricky.

Change movie theatre. And start watching new tv shows. Have you seen "orange os the new black" on Netflix? really cool

• Author
AVOID. AT ALL COSTS.

Yet, movies and tv shows...how can you possible avoid that if you love them indeed?

Tricky.

Change movie theatre. And start watching new tv shows. Have you seen "orange os the new black" on Netflix? really cool

Heard about that show will check it out. Unfortunately changing movie theatre is not an option as there is only one here, as i said small town.