Do you think it's important to experience heartbreak?

I am fresh out of a relationship (dumped) and I'm not ready to date again yet. I hurt, but I think this is a needed opportunity to look back at what I can improve on and to make the next relationship even better.

One thing I realized after my break up was that my ex GF never experienced true heart break. Every relationship she has ever been, she's been the one to break things off. So when I went through the "begging period," she did not sympathize because she doesn't understand what damage is done.

Like a child that gets a new toy and throws out the old one like it's nothing. I'm 21 and being so young, this is an important experience maybe?

Opinions?

I am fresh out of a relationship (dumped) and I'm not ready to date again yet. I hurt, but I think this is a needed opportunity to look back at what I can improve on and to make the next relationship even better.

One thing I realized after my break up was that my ex GF never experienced true heart break. Every relationship she has ever been, she's been the one to break things off. So when I went through the "begging period," she did not sympathize because she doesn't understand what damage is done.

Like a child that gets a new toy and throws out the old one like it's nothing. I'm 21 and being so young, this is an important experience maybe?

Opinions?

Very well said about your ex not knowing how it feels.

I've experienced 2 major heart brakes in my life but they defined who i am today.

So I gues that they are important because it develops our personalities in such a way that in the future we can became better people that know how to react when it happens again( hopefully not).

My first ex never got dumped in her life, she doesn't know how it feels to be rejected.....

• Like 1
  • Author
Very well said about your ex not knowing how it feels.

My first ex never got dumped in her life, she doesn't know how it feels to be rejected.....

Yeah man. They just don't get it. And what hurts is there's nothing you can say to truly show them so we give up and go NC.

When they do get dumped (which may or may not happen) I want to see or hear how they react as bad as that may be.

Experiencing heartbreak is incredibly rewarding in some ways ways and I do believe everyone should go through it at least once in their lives.

I did most of the dumping before I was heartbroken, mainly because

A) I did not know that I could get hurt in dating - I felt like I had power, so I dated whoever came by (until my heart hit the pavement a few times and brought me back down to Earth)

B) I had no idea what I even wanted

C) Dating was a free for all.

My ex left and it was his first legit breakup, but even the small flings he had I think he did the breaking up for as well. He's basically how I use to be when I started dating.

Getting my heart broken made me stronger and it made me understand true empathy for people. It let me see what I should, could, would put up with vs what I shouldn't, couldn't and wouldn't. I suffered a lot in dating from bad decisions but they each taught me something about dating, and myself, in the end.

Breakups induce pain, grief and confusion. They shake your foundation and what you know. They make you see how much you're willing to deal with and a lot of times make you reflect on your decisions and who you are. Most people change a lot when they get rejected in such a way - some for the better, some for the worse. It's all in how you deal which is a learning experience in itself.

Edited by Musing
  • Like 2

I think some people were spoiled throughout their childhoods and they don't know what it's like not to get what they want. They may typically be a dumper because they usually take the easy way out and always think there is someone better out there for them. Being dumped would probably help these people realize that relationships are not about trading people when times get hard.

I think there are also the type of people who experienced a lot of pain growing up and they like to avoid this in their adult lives. When times get tough in a relationship they dump the person they are with and don't look back. I don't know if being dumped would help these type of people. I think they just need to realize that they are taking their pain out on other people and that they should deal with their own pain and stop putting it on others. How these type of people might reach this epiphany is a mystery. But I guess being dumped might bring some awareness to them.

• Like 2
  • Author
When times get tough in a relationship they dump the person they are with and don't look back. I don't know if being dumped would help these type of people. I think they just need to realize that they are taking their pain out on other people and that they should deal with their own pain and stop putting it on others.

Couldn't have said it better myself.