The brain, the ex and the BF

HeartbrokenNewbie

HeartbrokenNewbie

Well Im not quite sure what has happened today... my background is that my ex and I broke up nearly 6 months ago after 3 years I was truly devastated... then I met my new BF about 3 weeks ago he's fantastic and I cannot believe I have found someone else that I like so much (I was giving up on dating!) its wonderful and although I do still think about the ex every day I dont feel sad anymore but yes there is a lot of bitterness and anger still towards him.

Things have been going fantastic with the new one every time I see him I like him more but today... today I cant seem to bounce off him like I usually do, I cant seem to feel the butterflies and I seem to want to make peace with my ex (I WONT!!) the ex is more at the front of my mind not so much him but the memories... why is this happening and how do I make those feelings change back or is this normal in this period of meeting someone when in the midst of heartbreak...? x I really like this guy x

Philosoraptor

Sounds like you're in rebound denial. You want to be close to someone but once those fuzzy feelings are gone you can no longer ignore the void you are still feeling regarding your ex. Which is why he is at the forefront of your mind versus this new guy you really like.

At the very least you should not get too serious with this new guy until you've dealt with all these feelings for your ex. Put yourself in his shoes, would you like to have your current partner struggling to get over his ex?

• Like 1
  • Author
HeartbrokenNewbie

Thank you x

Im pretty sure its not rebound as I went on a lot of dates and just wasnt feeling it I could have gone with any of them, I like the new one for who he is he just blew me away and I am taking it slow I just really dont want the memories of my ex confusing the picture and I dont know why suddenly today its back on my mind x I would chose the new one over the ex any day of the week x the fact that I seem to want to make peace is making me wonder if the bitterness and anger is holding me back x

Philosoraptor
Thank you x

Im pretty sure its not rebound as I went on a lot of dates and just wasnt feeling it I could have gone with any of them, I like the new one for who he is he just blew me away and I am taking it slow I just really dont want the memories of my ex confusing the picture and I dont know why suddenly today its back on my mind x I would chose the new one over the ex any day of the week x the fact that I seem to want to make peace is making me wonder if the bitterness and anger is holding me back x

That's the definition of a rebound. You've not healed or else you wouldn't still feel bitter. You can not give your heart to another if someone else is still pulling at it's strings.

Which is why I said rebound denial. You're trying to convince yourself you're healed. I'm not saying you don't like the new guy, I'm saying you're not over the ex which is why they're at the forefront of your mind.