It almost funny... almost

You all know the story. Fiance says she needs space after 6.5 years. A week later she hooks up with this other guy, lies to me about it and continues telling me she wants things to work out, even calls me if she doesn't here from me for a few days cries to me saying she is not happy the way she's been living (she was drinking every night) and doesn't know what's the matter with her. Last week after nearly 2 months of being apart she tells me the truth that she is seeing this other guy even though she is still confused about what she wants. Everything she tells me about this guy makes him sound like a complete a**h*** (he gets in lots of fistfights, does drugs, has a bad temper, doesn't even have a driver's license because it was suspended), but she likes him anyway. I tell her fine, but she will regret it and she says, "Maybe it's just the seven year itch..."

Anyway on tuesday (my b-day) she calls me up saying she has a card for me so I go over to pick it up and we talk for a little and I start in on how I think she is screwing her life up. She then tells me that her and this guy are in love and have even talked about marriage. I flip out and ask her what the hell she is talking about and how can she be doing this after we were together all those years (we rarely had any kind of problems and were rarely apart), but she insisted that this is real love and that she doesn't love me anymore. The more I thought about it the more I realize what she has with this guy is nothing more than infatuation, it's something different and exciting to her because they party all the time, etc.

So tonight, I'm talking to this girl who was with a friend of mine and I tell her my story and as it turns out she knows this guy that my ex is "in love with." And she said, "That guy is an a**h***, he has played so many girls just like that. He gets these girlfriends and tells them he loves them and that he wants to do all this stuff for them and then dumps them for somebody else."

So it's just like I thought it was and she is gonna get screwed over. My question is, what the hell would make an intelligent and beautiful girl go for a low life like this in the first place? Is it because he is completely different then me? Is it the bad boy image? Is she just so immature and naive than she was charmed by his crap? Why do women go for a**h***s? If and when she does come back to me I'm gonna make her cry and beg for forgiveness for her shallow crap, then I may or may not take her back. I'm pretty disgusted with her disregard for everything we've been through all these years and how she was so quick to throw it away. Part of me thinks that maybe her getting dicked over is a necessary evil that could possibly serve to make us stronger since she was unsure if there was something else out there for her and this will be a lesson that there aren't many guys like me out there and it isn't smart to let a good thing go.

Then again the way she's been acting maybe she'll just let the guy walk all over her, cheat on her, etc. If so, she made her bed and she has to lie in it. Someday she will wake up and realize she let the love of her life slip away for the sake of partying.

hurtingandconfused
Why do women go for a**h***s? If and when she does come back to me I'm gonna make her cry and beg for forgiveness for her shallow crap, then I may or may not take her back. I'm pretty disgusted with her disregard for everything we've been through all these years and how she was so quick to throw it away. Part of me thinks that maybe her getting dicked over is a necessary evil that could possibly serve to make us stronger since she was unsure if there was something else out there for her and this will be a lesson that there aren't many guys like me out there and it isn't smart to let a good thing go.

I know what you're going through. And I wonder...why would you take her back? (if she decided to come back)

Forget about her and live your life. Stop dwelling over the past and live in the present.

• Author

I would consider taking her back simply because of all the years we've spent together and the fact that she is obviously going through some little crises where she feels she needs to sew her wild oats. It's all very selfish I know, and I would absolutely not take her back with open arms. She needs to learn a hard lesson. I do love her. We were very young when we got together and from what I've heard long term relationships like that statistically have a long period of seperation somewhere. I don't know. It just sucks. I guess it depends on how I feel about her when she does come back. I may very well be so disgusted with when she does try that I tell her no thanks.