Why did my ex boyfriend who I cut ties with 6 months ago send me a friend request?

The break up ended badly. He left me for someone else. I told him I wanted to cut ties so we could move on, that I would miss him, and for him to take care. That was 6 months ago. I heard that it didn't work out with the girl he left me for, but he apparently ended up dating someone else a couple of months after. Some people just can't be on their own huh? :D (I'm still single)

Last week I was surprised to see a friend request from him. The first thought that popped into my head was "Are you f***ing kidding me?" I haven't accepted it. I'm not going to because I don't want to... I prefer leaving the past in the past.

I'm just curious what would have possessed him to add me after 6 months of zero contact. I went through an awful time after the break up but now I'm over it, and almost apathetic to him now. I presumed he wouldn't really care anymore either. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Because when you cut ties and move on with no contact like you did.... it drives them crazy. They always come back when you do that. It might take a while, but you WILL hear from them again.

No clue. Who knows what the reasons are, just try to handle it as best you can.

Someone I briefly dated did the same thing.

Months later, received a friend request, I reluctantly added him (I didn't know if I could handle it atm) and shortly after, he updates his status to say he is a relationship with someone new.

We stopped dating because I brought up the "where is this going" talk (I wanted it to progress into a relationship, he didn't). So, you can imagine my confusion and feeling like someone just kicked dirt in my face.

I would want an explanation, but sometimes, it's better not to have one.

justin1988

I wouldn't read too much into a friend request. I mean we all add people we don't really even know. Of course there could be a lot of different motivations but probably what happened is he saw your profile somewhere in the comments or on the side bar and just added you. Now if he starts commenting on your posts or messaging you, that's when you should start asking WTF?

Don't read into it. Continue to ignore it.

1. He genuinely misses the relationship

2. He genuinely misses the friendship

3. He genuinely misses you

4. He genuinely is curious about what's going on in your life, but that's all

5. He genuinely wants a backup option for relationship, friendship, or sex

It's so good to hear you feel apathetic about him six months later. I can't wait to be at that point.

• Like 1
cavalier99

Now that im indifferent about my ex and seeing someone else i have a strange urge to see how my ex is doing. I would like to catch up, hear about her new RS, her family ecetera. But i probably wont for another 6 months or so just to play it safe,

We shared so many years together it is sorta weird to not know anything since i went NC. Of course hard core NC was ABSOLUTLY necessay to get over it.

I assume how i feel now is how a dumper feels. They just want to see how your doing. Cav