Ex-Girlfriend Trying to be Buddies with A New Girl I'm Dating.

thelastjukeboxromeo

thelastjukeboxromeo

Hi all,

My ex-girlfriend broke up with me almost a year ago, and she moved on quickly (she got a new boyfriend pretty soon; we dated for almost 2 years). I'm currently seeing somebody casually, but I'm not in a relationship yet. My ex hasn't spoken to me since last September, when she told me that our failed relationship was entirely my fault and she resented me for "manipulating" her into falling in love with me. We had one of those whirlwind passionate romances. The last thing she said to me, with tears in her eyes, was that she didn't care about me and never wanted to see me again. So I did my own thing for a while, picked up guitar, and I've started to become happy with myself again, which I haven't been in a long time. My ex and I still have to see each other fairly often, since we are in the same lecture, but I sit next to the girl I'm seeing (let's call her Mary) and she sits across the room. She generally ignores me, although I waved to her the other day and she smiled at me. Coincidentally, Mary and my ex are in the same lab. A few days ago Mary has told me that my ex, who hated her (back when we were together, my ex was jealous of Mary and would not let me hang out with her), has been trying to become best buddies with her. Why would she do this? It's so weird! She probably suspects Mary and I have a thing going on, since she's seen us together many times, and she's usually very shy about approaching new people to talk, let alone ask for their phone number for no reason. She has a boyfriend, and this makes me feel uncomfortable. From what Mary has told me, my ex just randomly goes up to her and starts talking, and even sits next to her in their common lecture. Although Mary has never told her that she's dating me, it's fairly obvious to spot. I just don't understand why my ex would try to be close to somebody who I'm seeing.

Thanks for reading this, and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

january2011

It doesn't matter what your ex does if Mary refuses her friendship.

What does Mary think? Does she want to be friends with your ex?