Just saw my Ex on a date...

MissIndependant

Why is it that when we see a former love intrest with someone else that we get so... well messed up?

I was out to dinner with the guy I'm seeing and his family and my ex (who insists he is still and will always be in love with me) walks into the resturant with a date.

We both wanted to remain friends after I broke up with him in January. Something neither of us have ever done with other ex's, but we had been together for 4 years and didn't want the friendship we'd built to be ruined.

Anyways, he walked past our table and his face instantly fell. He just looked like the kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

I gave him a wave and a hi, he awkwardly waved back and mumbled hi while looking at his shoes as they walked by. I'm not sure if this was because he felt like he got caught doing something wrong or just because it was the first time he had seen me out with someone as well.

I told him I was seeing someone about three weeks after we broke up, so knowing I was seeing someone isn't anything new. We meet up for coffee every now and again and chat once in a while.

So why did seeing him bring up so many differnt emotions?

I went from smiling, to shocked, to a bit sad for what we had and had now lost, jealous (why didnt he ever do that with me), acceptance, and finally hope & happiness that he may be starting to move on, all in the space of about 3 minutes lol Is this a feeling of finally getting closure now we have both started moving on?

I don't regret my decision to end things and I am very happy with where my new relationship is heading. So it was weird to go through this little whirlwind of emotions.

Any thoughts?