ex gf called to thank me for sending her a birthday card

Hi all,

I've been NC for a few weeks after a nearly 3 year relationship, but because our breakup was generally amicable, I sent her a birthday card, nonchalant and wishing her well, nothing crazy. She called me today to thank me for the card -- I ignored the call so she left a voicemail saying that the card was really sweet and thanking me for thinking of her. she also asked me to call her when i got the message, saying that she would love to hear from me.

I think she is rebounding with someone right now, so I don't think I will call. What do you guys all think? Right now I am open to the possibility of getting back together with her but I don't need her to go on in my life. I started the moving on process already -- i already blocked her on facebook, have been NC, and unfriended friends and family of hers -- not out of spite but just for the sake of moving on. We've been broken up for 2 months. I have no interest in being "just friends."

Damsel in Distress

I don't know if it's too late, but I'd recommend you not call her. It doesn't sound like her message is anything but a friendly check in. You have done so much hard work to move on, I think it would be an emotional setback to hear her voice and have a conversation, and find that she wants nothing more than to check in and see how you are. Especially if she is with somebody else.

The advice on LS seems to be that you shouldn't break BC unless they are falling all over themselves with apologies and reasons they want you back. Don't accept breadcrumbs.

BTW I'm impressed that you ignored the call. Seeing her name come up must have been intense. Although maybe you were expecting it because of the birthday card. Did hearing her voice on the message shake you up emotionally?

Hang in there and be strong. Getting in touch with her is not part of the NC recovery plan that you have put so much work into!