Why does the heart take sooo long to heal, when my finger takes only a few weeks?

mtnbiker3000

On the last day I saw my ex (3 weeks ago), I was helping her pick up a washer and dryer from one of her coworkers, as she helped me earlier that day with moving the last of my belongings. When I loosened the gas line from the back of the dryer, the wrench gave way and I smashed and cut my thumb pretty good on the back of the dryer. I was left with a horizontal gash leading to the nail, and a pea-sized blood blister under the nail.

Well, I have watched this heal over the last few weeks and now the cut is almost undetectable and the blister is half the original size. Why is it that our hearts do not heal in this same linear fashion and at a similar rate? I still feel sick in the pit of my stomach most days, although it does seem to be getting slightly less intense sometimes, I guess… Other times, it's pretty bad. Wish it would just heal like the rest of my body!!

Damsel in Distress

Yes it's the non-linear emotional healing that is so frustrating. :(

Each step of healing is so fragile and such small things can produce a setback. Healing from physical wounds is so predictable. The heart, not at all :(

But, even though it's a wicked zigzag line, the overall trend IS up. It's just hard to step back and get enough distance to see that because the process is so long.

It will get better - by a circuitous route, but it will.

• Author
mtnbiker3000

Yeah, I know you're right. Just want it to hurry up is all :D

Man, whoever comes up with the anti-heartbreak medication/pill will be set for life :laugh:

• Like 1

Good question, I want to know too :laugh: Well, I think in a way our attachment to lost love is a flaw in the human design.

Sometimes, I wish I could just press a button and all my pain and longing for her would just disappear in a heart beat. If that could happen, I would be so much happier. I miss the days when I was happy, it seems so long that I have tasted happiness.

• Author
mtnbiker3000
Good question, I want to know too :laugh: Well, I think in a way our attachment to lost love is a flaw in the human design.

Sometimes, I wish I could just press a button and all my pain and longing for her would just disappear in a heart beat. If that could happen, I would be so much happier. I miss the days when I was happy, it seems so long that I have tasted happiness.

Yeah, but then the good side wouldn't be nearly as fantastic. Knowing there's no risk. It's the risk of disaster that makes it soooo sweet.

Cool topic. Be glad that you have strong emotions. some people never feel too happy or too sad

I read about this in another thread and never really thought about it like this before. At least I can love and give myself to another. I guess that's something. It really would suck to not be able to do that and not feel strong emotion one way or another...